cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi 6 MOCA Backbone Setup

bobgillvan
Neighbour

Hi community,

If I setup a Wifi 6 WAP on each floor, can I just plug-in the coax backbone, or do I still need to use the MOCA adapters?

I'm excited to get fiber installed next week, but have a few network design questions. We live in a 3-floor townhome. Currently, I have the T3200M router as the main modem/router. I use MOCA exclusively as a network backbone. We do not use it for any coax TV signals. On each floor, I have a MOCA adapter connected to a Telus Boost Wifi 5 pad. Of the 100Gbps download and 32 Gbps upload service (pre-fiber), I can get >90% from any place in my home.  The new Wifi 6 wireless access points (WAP) have a coax plug already.  My hope is that I don't need to use the MOCA adapters anymore and just setup new Wifi 6 WAPs, using the coax backbone, and get >90% of the fiber service anywhere in my home. If my understanding is correct, for each of my three floors, I can take out the MOCA adapter and Wifi 5 WAP, and replace it with the all-in-one Wifi 6 WAP and plug the coax right into it. Ethernet ports on the back are still open for devices on the same floor. The coax (up to 2.5Gbps) would still be the network backbone. I can declutter a bit because I won't need separate MOCA adapters on each floor anymore. Will this work, or am I misunderstanding something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have the Wifi 6 WAP plugged directly into the MOCA connector on the T3200M. Works great. My understanding is that much like cable TV the signal may degrade with multiple MOCA devices connected but I don't think it should be that significant. The unit I have has 3 ethernet ports (one is 2.5G) so you use then instead of a MOCA adapter:

bltuy93zoqk71.jpg (1882×1412) (redd.it)

Source: Just got the new stuff from telus. (ONT & Wifi 6 Boost) AMA. : telus (reddit.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have the Wifi 6 WAP plugged directly into the MOCA connector on the T3200M. Works great. My understanding is that much like cable TV the signal may degrade with multiple MOCA devices connected but I don't think it should be that significant. The unit I have has 3 ethernet ports (one is 2.5G) so you use then instead of a MOCA adapter:

bltuy93zoqk71.jpg (1882×1412) (redd.it)

Source: Just got the new stuff from telus. (ONT & Wifi 6 Boost) AMA. : telus (reddit.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thanks. That's great to hear. If the uplink is through the coax into the T3200M, I guess the ethernet is still limited to 1Gb. The T3200M is only a 1Gb router. For my purposes, I should be able to use the upload through the coax, and then use all 3 of the ethernet ports for hardwired devices.