cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Telus forces me to expose SIN?

hyzhak
Just Moved In

I'm trying to purchase "PureFibre Internet 300/300" with monthly payment but Telus forces me to expose SIN number despite.

There are 2 options: Canadian driving license and SIN (option), for "Credit check".

Because I'm newcomer I don't have a driving license, so SIN isn't optional at all, and online form doesn't allow me to move forward without exposing SIN. And actually what is the sense to do "Credit check" for newcomers?

And btw, according to https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/shared-responsibility.ht...:

> If the company or organization refuses to provide the product or service unless you provide your SIN, ask to speak to the person in charge. Many companies and organizations do not know about the appropriate uses of the SIN. Once they understand, they may willingly change their practices.

> If you are not satisfied with the organization's response, you are entitled to file a complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.58.38 PM.png

3 REPLIES 3

hyzhak
Just Moved In

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.54.59 PM.png

update of screenshot where you can see the contradiction:
"Social Insurance Number (Optional)" and "Social Insurance number is required.".

so if you decided to force request of SIN from users please be consistent and remove working "Optional" from the option.

Mrfy
Friendly Neighbour

Hey there

I also do not EVER give out a SIN number (technically for employers and government use only) and was given the option to use a passport number, health care card, provincial ID card. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You cold ask Telus if you could post a bond instead. I recall they did this in the distant past for telephone services. This surety was refunded after 6 months of on-time payments. 

Telus offers a number of options to satisfy the need for a credit check. That you can't provide one or more, does not mean they did not offer the option. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"