cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CAT for wifi boosters?

Frznrth
Organizer
Hi
I recently had Optik tv installed. I want to run Ethernet to each box. I also want wifi boosters at the same locations. I have CAT 7 cables for the Optik boxes do I need the same for the boosters or can I use some old 5s that I have? I’d like to run the “right” cables before I close up my basement ceiling.
Thanks for the help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cate 5e or Cat 6 will be fine. Either will support gigabit speeds. If you ever plan to update your home network in the future to 10gbps or anything faster than 1 gigabit, Cat 6 would be the recommendation as it supports up to 10gbps. The alternative is to put an ethernet switch behind the Optik box and connect it and the wifi booster to the same line. Separate lines can give you more flexibility though.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cate 5e or Cat 6 will be fine. Either will support gigabit speeds. If you ever plan to update your home network in the future to 10gbps or anything faster than 1 gigabit, Cat 6 would be the recommendation as it supports up to 10gbps. The alternative is to put an ethernet switch behind the Optik box and connect it and the wifi booster to the same line. Separate lines can give you more flexibility though.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂