cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to Telus PureFibre from old copper service.... what to expect?

dc2r
Friendly Neighbour

My elderly parents like in a 90's home with copper service. All they have with Telus is a land line and the DSC alarm system.

Last year their service went down and a Telus technician came around to fix it, and he told them that they were one of the few remaining on the street still on copper and they need to convert to fibre soon.

My dad passed it on to me and it's been a snafu dealing with Telus over the phone. I subcontractor crew showed up unannounced to install the outdoor line, and told me to contact Telus with any questions because they won't answer them. Telus told me the technician who is scheduled to come inside the house to finish the install will be the one answering everything. 

Just today I got the appoinment reminder from Telus to be ready for the tech to come (3 days from now), and I am supposed to move furniture, etc. away from all phone jacks in preparation for his arrival? 

Exactly what kind of work will they be doing in the house? Are they replacing all the phone jacks? Again, all they have is a landline and their house alarm system on the voice line. Their TV cable service is not supplied by Telus. Calls to Telus to ask for more information has been an exercise in futility, and they just tell me to ask the technician when he arrives... if that is the case, how am I supposed to prepare beforehand???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They will not need to replace the jacks and you shouldn't need to move the furniture unless something is blocking the jack closest to where they'll install the fibre gateway. Essentially once installed, they'll connect it to a jack and their phones should work as they did before. The only thing I'd check for is if there is a battery backup on the fibre gateway so that the phone service may still function for a short time in a power outage. I ended up adding a full UPS battery backup to mine as it powers my router also.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

dc2r
Friendly Neighbour

Any thoughts on the alarm system? There shouldn't be any issues should it?

dc2r
Friendly Neighbour

What is involved in installing this UPS? I never took this into consideration... Their basic internet is from their TV cable supplier and that connection not together with any phone jack, etc.. The area where my parents live is prone to power failures during bad weather.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The UPS is a battery backup but it's bigger than the one Telus may install, if they install one. I have this one attached to my hardware. It's the only one compact enough to fit in the telecom panel in my place. They're plug and play, just like a power bar, except they also have a battery on board. They come in different capacities so prices will vary.

I'm not sure about the alarm as I don't have one. There may be the odd time the fibre hardware reboots and the alarm may have an issue with that. When the gateway reboots, the connection drops and so do the phone lines but only for a brief time. They may need to check with their alarm system vendor to be safe.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

dc2r
Friendly Neighbour

Is the UPS plug and play?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. As I mentioned it's like a large power bar / surge suppressor.

UPS.png

The one Telus uses is different. I think they get hardwired in and only power the gateway itself. The advantage of the bigger UPS is that if your parents have a cordless phone there, it can also be plugged into the UPS and will keep working if the power is out. 

dc2r
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the info. I have zero knowledge of any of this before posting this. The only UPS I've ever seen is the monster in the back of the server room at work. I appreciate it.