cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus modem/app incorrectly showing connected devices

JR_99
Helpful Neighbour

Hello,

I just noticed some of the devices that are connected on our wireless network are showing up as being connected via ethernet when we look at the Telus My Wifi app and also via the Telus modem GUI. There is not an issue with the connection itself, just that it's being incorrectly shown as being via ethernet on the GUI/app. I have never seen this happen before. We had some earlier concerns about hacking, so I am a tad bit paranoid now about seeing odd things like this show up. Has anyone else experienced the above issue? Could it be a sign of someone perhaps hacking onto our network or more likely a "glitch" with our hardware? I'm thinking of rebooting the network to see if the issue resolves itself. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It won't have anything to do with hacking at all. The vast majority of things people think are "hacking", aren't. It's significantly overused term.

The issue is likely just something with the software and it won't affect the performance of the devices.

For me the only device that shows up as being connected by LAN that shouldn't be is my phone. That phone is connected to a Telus Boost access point rather than the main router so that may be one reason why. Do you have Telus Boost in your home?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In my experience, devices connected through a Boost device, or other mesh often report as being ethernet connected in the router interface, likely because the Boost appears as an ethernet device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

JR_99
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. We don't have a Telus Boost, just their modem. I did notice the wireless devices that are showing up incorrectly as being on Ethernet while on WiFi seem be on our guest network. Not sure if this is just a coincidence.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Interesting. I wonder if that is the management tool used to separate the guest from the rest of your network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've been having assorted issues with the Telus My Wi-Fi app for a while now. Devices are showing as connected that haven't been on my network for quite some time. Wireless devices don't display the IP address, hostnames are incorrectly reported etc. If I login to my router and go to Status>LAN Status I can see what's actually connected to my network. I've rebooted my router and the problem persists. I believe it's an issue with the app and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

JR_99
Helpful Neighbour

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the app, hopefully things get resolved soon. Did you try deleting and reinstalling the app? I was having login issues with mine a while back and ended up having to reinstall it. 

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately reinstalling the app didn't appear to have any effect.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.