cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Mail to Gmail

jhulford
Organizer

We've always used IMAP and POP and have never used webmail, does this changeover affect us? 

34 REPLIES 34

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Except for the difficulty one user has reported with Outlook, you should be able to set it up to use you choice of mail application on computers and phones.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

So basically, I don't need to change anything? We use Pegasus and Mailwasher. I'd rather not use any webmail application for our 'real' email. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll need to do some set up steps

NFtoBC

Thanks for the link, but I don't want to use the webmail, I want to continue using IMAP and POP if possible.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can continue to use IMAP but you will need to update the server settings in your mail program to do so. The old telus.net settings will no longer work. @NFtoBC provided links to the setup information a few posts previous.

Google/Gmail usually has POP disabled by default but it can be turned on in the Gmail settings. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I am having trouble migrating over to Gmail. When I get to the log in page, I use my Telus username as the extension @telus.net is already there. The password for my Telus account is not recognized so after a few attempts, I rest my Telus webmail password.

I return to the Gmail login page and my new password is not recognized. When I click 'Forgot my password,' I get a message to contact my administrator.

Telus chat is not very helpful - mostly just general information on the webmail to Gmail migration.

Any suggestions?

I'm having the same issue. My password is not recognized when I try to log in with Gmail. I also can't get any email through my email client (Thunderbird) because it tells me the password doesn't work. 

Also - get this - I can't reset my password because the code goes to my telus. net email. WHICH I CAN'T ACCESS. Who thought this up? The phone number they helpfully suggest I send a code to is a landline that I haven't had for 25 years. 🙄 I can't see anywhere to change any of this in My Telus. SO STUPID. ☹️

Ok, thanks, it looks like I'll have to load the 'google' version as an IMAP 'mailbox' in my client, then save any mail off line. Clumsy.

I'm disappointed there does not seem to be adequate support to help Outlook 365 users manage their Gmail that has migrated from TELUS.net.   I can't believe I am unique in my desire to continue using Outlook, and find it amazing the TELUS.net->Gmail migration team did not think this was worth addressing.   Can someone direct me to a place where I can use Outlook to manage my TELUS.net Gmail?

PCherian
Helpful Neighbour

I was able to setup POP3 successfully, but somehow I'm unable to post the steps.

jhulford
Organizer

Looks like we're getting 'transitioned' whether we want to or not. I have two passwords for these accounts, one for POP3 one for SMTP. Need to know which one I'm supposed to use, anyone know? The chatbot is useless. Thx.

Now it's getting farcical. I'm trying to set a date for the big transition and it won't accept any combo of password or alias to log into the 'webmail' thing on the linked page. Am I supposed to set up separate accounts first? We've always used real email and don't have a clue how to do that.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you logged into webmail.telus.net to confirm your access password?

That should be the one to use in the transition.

NFtoBC

Have never received an 'access password' nor have I ever used the webmail. Just a link to set a date for the transition, which goes to the webmail page and that won't accept *any* of the account credentials to log into it. 

The solution to this problem is: start your own 'gmail' account and send out notifications to your contacts re: change of address. Bills, banking and other sensitive stuff should be through secure servers like protonmail, etc. I don't know why Telus decided on this hamfisted way of dumping their email service, rather than just saying it: email is no longer part of the 'package'. Oh well, going to be a busy week. 

I agree it is an annoying decision by Telus. They are essentially just cancelling the e-mail part of their service, and telling us to use GMail. If I wanted to use GMail I would have gone that way a long time ago. However, the real problem as you obviously have figured out is that your Telus e-mail address is used everywhere by all your contacts, and frequently as your ID in many sites. The conversion offered by Telus lets you keep your Telus e-mail, but after that it gets difficult. I use Thunderbird/Lightning and it did not like the G-Suite google account that Telus gave me. I did figure it out and have come up with a acceptable solution while maintaining my Telus e-mail. The nice part of Thunderbird is that it lets you retain the POP3 feature of keeping your e-mail on your computer as well as keeping it synced in both directions with a Google Account. Yes, you lose the security of only having e-mail on your computer, but you gain the convenience of having your mail and calendar available on your phone - if you consider that an advantage....

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not quite. It is the commercial product, nor the free one. Your emails should not be subject to the scanning and marketing the free product is subject to.

NFtoBC

Hope you're right. Since I can't get into the webmail thing to set a date, I'm just going to let them transfer us and see what happens after. In the meantime we moved everything over to other services to try and get ahead of any catastrophes. If it's a smooth move then we'll revert everything back to our old emails and carry on. 🙂

billiebong
Friendly Neighbour

May I ask what solution you came up with?  Here is my problem. I have 4 email accounts on Thunderbird.  They are scooby, bobbit, nimmer, and splitnod.

I migrated the scooby one first a few weeks back and had everything (in Thunderbird inbox) from 2016 and on that I had saved. Everything was fine for 2 weeks so I removed the original scooby account from Thunderbird. 

Then last week, after I migrated the other 3 email addresses, all my old scooby inbox mails were gone from Thunderbird. 'Splitnod's' old inbox emails do show on 'splitnod' from 2016 and on but not on any of the other 3 email addresses.  I did not remove the original nimmer or bobbit because the new ones (from  gmail) did not contain my old inbox messages.

I really needed the ones from 'scooby' as it's my main email and I kept a lot of important emails there.

If I had known this was going to happen I would not have removed my Thunderbird Scooby account in the first place. At least I would still have all my old emails, some of which were very important. 

I've spent hours on both chat and the phone with Telus support, who keep promising me my problem is a priority, but after  more than a week and never hearing  back from the two people I've dealt with, I believe they're just ignoring me.   I am totally frustrated with this whole process and with Telus.  If you have any input I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Not sure exactly what your situation is. About all I can tell you is how I did my conversion. I only had one account in Thunderbird which went back many years. I just left it as it was. I then created a new account in Thunderbird using the Telus instructions for Thunderbird with IMAP. The old e-mail just sits there inactive in the old account, and now the Telus gmail account is active. The e-mail is mirrored in the Thunderbird account and in the cloud gmail. Gives me access to my email with my phone and the gmail app. 

My previous Telus email was set up using POP3 which downloaded the new email each time I opened Thunderbird. It was then gone from the Telus Webmail account. I made sure to open Thunderbird before Telus did the conversion to ensure I got all the mail. The only slight glitch was that occasionally I would use Telus Webmail to send out e-mail. Those sent e-mails were not downloaded to Thunderbird. However, when Telus did the conversion the (very old) sent emails were switched over to the new gmail account. 

If one can accept that their cloud gmail is probably stored on a floating barge in some third world country it is a good system. With the Thunderbird mirror system I have them essentially all backed up on my home pc hard drive. I can access them even if gmail is down or I have no internet connection.