cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Boost Network Connection Dropping on iPhone XR and MacBook Pro

ArneSalvesen
Just Moved In

Apologies if this is dealt with elsewhere, but my issue is a bit specific as outlined in the subject.

My setup:

T3200M Modem with a WCB3000 Extender connected via coax.  The WCB3000 is used to get the signal to my Optik Box

2.4G Wifi disabled on both T3200M and WCB3000.

5G Wifi active on on both T3200M and WCB3000.  Same SSID on both.  Use this network for my tenants downstairs.

Added Boost earlier this summer.  First booster is connected to T3200M, second is in the living room.  Great signal.  Great speeds.

Recently however, my iPhone XR and my MacBook Pro keep dropping off the Boost network,  I try to reconnect but am told the password is wrong (iPhone) or it just won't connect (MacBook).  She can share the PW with me from her phone, and then I can connect. My wife's iPhone 6 has no issues (nor her Windows based PC). 

If I reset the Boost station in the living room I can connect again for a short time, but then the problem re-appears.

I've tried switching the boosters with no affect.  

I am at the end of my technical knowledge.  Any ideas?

64 REPLIES 64

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you see @Nighthawk reply in this thread?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks! Just took a look - it sounds like this is what I need to do.... the only problem I'm having now is that I can't seem to find the right page once connected to the router....

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You are correct. I confused the Smart Device Network page as being similar to Smart Steering.

Try turning off the two 5GHz radios when setting up the 2.4 GHz devices, to see if that helps.

NFtoBC

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Funny enough - I read about the idea of shutting off the 5G bands this morning and decided to give it a try.  It takes a bit of fighting with the web interface to get both 5G Bands offline, but thus far it seems to work.  I'm slowly going around my house and reconnecting my smart devices to the Wifi with the 5G off.  Oddly, the cheap devices haven't been giving me much trouble....the Wemo ones (which you'd expect to be more polished?) aren't fairing as well.... oh well.  I'm at least hopeful at this point that I'll get everything up and running soon!

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Dang...Seemed to work for about ~16-20 Hours, but then one-by-one my divices started dropping off.... Firs the Wemo Devices, then Sonos...then my smart plugs.... dang!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then the next option might be to purchase a separate router for these devices.

NFtoBC

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

...Oh....and will this mean that my Tulles 'Boosters' will no longer be useful?

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Oh - and will this mean that my Telus 'Boosters' will no longer be useful?

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Sorry - my connection is so bad now that it keeps telling me I'm not connected to the internet when I try to post ....grrrrr My blood is boiling.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to keep the T3200M for your Optik, but you could run the rest of your network from another router connected to the T3200M.

NFtoBC

Optik TV works fine without the T3200. Overall our wifi is better since we moved to the Arcadyan, in part because it works with the boosts seamlessly.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That model was discussed here previously. It does not work correctly with Optik since the Asus doesn't pass multi-cast data properly. That is also a 6 year old router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Bobbychomes
Neighbour
I installed it the Wi-Fi extenders about a month ago and in the last couple of weeks, it keeps asking for Wi-Fi password then saying incorrect password when it is correct. We’ve tried changing the password and restarting modem and extenders, it doesn’t help. Any ideas? Frankly don’t have time to do a 1hr phone call with support only to have to have a tech out to rectify.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

What type of devices are you seeing this on? (type of phone, computer, Mac, etc)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

MacBook, Iphones, Ipads.  Everything says incorrect password.  It will sometimes connect for a while then disconnect after a few minutes sometimes an hour.

iPhone 8, iPhone 7, 2018 MacBook Air, 2019 iPad Air, 2017 iPad, 6th gen iPod are what disconnects.  Our Globe brand wi-fi light bulbs are also offline can't seems they can't connect as well.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is already a running discussion for this >>> https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Telus-Boost-Network-Connection-Dropping-on-iPhone-XR-...

The Globe brand WiFi bulbs only work on a 2.4 Ghz frequency. If you disable SmartSteering on the main router and connect you phone/ipad you should be able to connect to the bulb.

I've noticed if the bulb is off, it will tell you the bulb is off line. Once the bulb comes on, it will show online. This all assuming the bulb has been initially set up.

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) on macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and a 10.2-inch iPad Wi-Fi

lemon
Just Moved In

omg, literally the same issue for only one of the devices (mackbook pro) at home. wifi connection just keeps dropping only for this specific laptop. There doesnt seem to be any clear cut solution here tho 😥