cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M - help with cumbersome scheduling access

dubmon
Friendly Neighbour

Hello,

I'm trying to setup "Scheduling Access" in my T3200M to limit how late my son can play his PlayStation into the wee hours of the morning 😕

I do find the T3200M scheduling interface cumbersome to use because I want to restrict access past midnight some days so it actually crosses into the next day.

Requirement:

- PS4 Internet Access shuts down at 10:30PM on school nights.   PS4 access is restored at 7AM on school days but this time is arbitrary.

- On Friday night (not a school night), he is allowed to game until 2AM (which is technically Saturday at 2AM).

- On Saturday night (not a school night), he is allowed to game until 2AM (which is technically Sunday at 2AM).

Does this look correct?     

Allowed Days
Allowed Time
MON,TUE,WED,THU,SUN7:00AM to
10:30PM
               FRI, SAT7:00AM to 12:00AM
               SAT, SUN12:00AM to 2:00AM

For the "FRI, SAT" entry, does the T3200M know I want 7AM to midnight based on the 'From' and 'To' instead of the inverse 12AM to 7AM?  Alternatively, I could specify 7AM to 11:45PM but this would cut off access for a 15 minute period between 11:45PM and midnight and then his access would resume from midnight to 2AM.

Thanks for the help with the programming!

PS @RhoLee - any advise would be much appreciated 🙂

-Hershey.

5 REPLIES 5

RonAKA
Rockstar

Would it be possible to program the time limitations into the PS4? Or is that not hack proof?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is probably better done through PSN account management:

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS4-Play-Time-Management-for-Child-Accounts?language=en_US

Simply changing the router will not necessarily restrict the usage of the PS4 as not all games require online access.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

dubmon
Friendly Neighbour

Hi @RonAKA & @FuzzyLogic  - thanks for the great suggestion of enabling Family Management on the PS4/PSN.

I spent the last 30 minutes trying to set it up but unfortunately it's a not starter.  Years ago when my son first got his PS4, we set him up as a regular account (e.g. not a child account) so his account is already a "Family Manager" account and this status/flag cannot be removed from his account after the fact; this is the information that I received from the PS Support folks.  In order to setup parental controls, I would have to make a new child account for him and he's not going to go for that as he's spent years building up this account for the various games that he plays.  

Any other suggestions?    OpenDNS or alternatives that support time-based filtering at the DNS level?     Do my time-based rules on my T3200M look correct?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I think you won't have much luck with alternate means.

Based on this information from Sony it would appear you should still be able to do what you want. You likely will need to create a new 'family' account and then add people to this group. More info here:

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/family.html

From what I've seen an account is considered a 'child' based on the age associated with the account (birthday).

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

dubmon
Friendly Neighbour

thanks @FuzzyLogic!   My son's account was not setup as a child account from the beginning so that's the problem.  We used a birth year that would have been considered an adult. In the past, I've tried to setup accounts for him and if you specify the birth year of a child then it locks out account creation as the individual needs to be a certain age. I get that this is biting me in the butt now for the opposite reason 😞