cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200 and boost v1's upgrade to wifi 6 router

onovtec
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, currently I have the t3200 and 4 boost v1's. 3 are hard wired, and 1 is on wifi.  Awhile ago I upgraded to the fibre 1 GB service, but they never provided me with any wifi 6 equipment.  Recently I phoned them and they kept saying they no longer provide wifi 6 hardware but want me to get the wifi 6 plus service (an extra $10 a month).  I am confused as my service should have included the wifi 6 hardware and they still advertise it as such.  For my wireless devices, example iphone 13, it is getting 120 MBPS.  Will wifi 6 hardware help it get a significant boost?  Or am I better off just getting my own router + mesh setup after the existing t3200 TELUS router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cvr24
Organizer

You only get one of the Boost 2.0 units, if you want more then you need to pay the $10 a month for WiFi plus which gives you as many as you need.  The phone rep knows this and that's probably why they aren't going to give you just one, combined with likely hardware shortages.  You'll get worse performance and be unhappy.  But, they cannot be mixed with the old 1.0 Boost units, and they all must be hard wired.  No wireless meshing with 2.0.

I have a similar setup as you, and have decided I'm going to stick with the 1.0 Boosts. Not worth the hassle to switch everything out.  I have all the TVs and PCs hardwired and 100 Mbps is more than plenty for a phone or tablet.  I have been using the 1.0 Boosts for five years and I'm still impressed with their performance and I never have to mess with them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

cvr24
Organizer

You only get one of the Boost 2.0 units, if you want more then you need to pay the $10 a month for WiFi plus which gives you as many as you need.  The phone rep knows this and that's probably why they aren't going to give you just one, combined with likely hardware shortages.  You'll get worse performance and be unhappy.  But, they cannot be mixed with the old 1.0 Boost units, and they all must be hard wired.  No wireless meshing with 2.0.

I have a similar setup as you, and have decided I'm going to stick with the 1.0 Boosts. Not worth the hassle to switch everything out.  I have all the TVs and PCs hardwired and 100 Mbps is more than plenty for a phone or tablet.  I have been using the 1.0 Boosts for five years and I'm still impressed with their performance and I never have to mess with them.

onovtec
Friendly Neighbour

That explanation makes so much more sense.  😀  And you are right, it is currently very stable and everyone in the household is happy.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.