cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFTP Incoming Connection Being Blocked

CyberWrek
Neighbour

I am trying to use a computer as a file sharing server so that I can access my files from anywhere. I don't feel like paying for a service like OneDrive or Dropbox when I have everything I need to do it myself. The only problem I'm having is that I cannot connect via SFTP to the computer remotely. I have no problems doing so from within my home network, but the moment I step outside my home, it's gone.

I've been told by many people that this is because of our Telus high speed internet settings. I'm pretty good with tech, but this is a little out of my scope. I'd very much appreciate some guidance on this. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

rc
Rockstar

The secure way to access your files off of your home network would be to use  VPN client to access a VPN server that resides on your home network.

If you are not concerned about security and someone hacking your server them you need to change your firewall rules and set up some port forwarding assignments 

Hi Rockstar,

I believe I've managed to fry my brain with all the SSH, SFTP, VPN, etc that I've been researching for the past few days. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I do have VPN Unlimited on one of my computers., just no clue what to do to make it work for my needs. Any chance you'd have step-by-step directions on making this work?

Thanks!

DrPacman
Rockstar

@CyberWrek Wrote: I have no problems doing so from within my home network, but the moment I step outside my home, it's gone.

There are a number of factors that could be affecting the connections:

1. Firewalls

2. Ports/Port Forwarding

3. FTP Daemon/Server software on the client

4. Etc.

Personally, I might look at the free service from Cloudflare called Cloudflare tunnels. very good video by Chris Sherwood of Crosstalk Solutions on a fairly straight forward install. Major benefit is you can utilize it for many services not just SFTP. Cheers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIdFs3M5ic

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Hi DrPacman,

I was halfway through the video, following each step and got stopped at Docker. My computer is 2012 and running Catalina. It wouldn't run the latest version of Docker. I found an older copy, but the instructions didn't make sense. Interestingly, I stumbled onto instructions on forcing an OS update to Monterey. It may even go higher than that if I really want it to. For now, I just want Cloudflare to work.

I'll keep you posted if I get there. If not, I may have to install Linux and go the Open Media Vault direction.

@CyberWrek Wrote: My computer is 2012 and running Catalina.

Ok, that is interesting.... Of all OS's Mac is my least strength...

I can tell you that I have a OMV instance setup here, and working with an instance of WireGuard for the last number of years. Work very well with not only my PC's, but my Android Cell Phones for connecting seamlessly back to the files from anywhere on the globe. The only trick I would suggest is you create both a full tunnel, and a Split tunnel configuration to address different situations.

Even those this video was designed to go on a Pi server instance, works very well with OMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpIOSbbvKk

Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

WireGuard is an application that can turn your Raspberry Pi into a full VPN Server. This tutorial will guide you through the entire installation and configuration process to ensure your VPN is setup properly! ✅ Written Instructions: ...

Faulty
Just Moved In

I am using Cloud Flare  Zero Trust to get into my machines remotely. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey4u7OUAF3c

Run your home lab like an enterprise company!! Use Red Hat Enterprise Linux for FREE: https://ntck.co/redhat In this video, NetworkChuck will show you how to install and use Cloudflare Tunnel, the best way to expose and access your home lab resources from the internet. Traditionally, you would use