Review of Telus 1Gb/s after a couple of weeks….

Highlighted
Connector

Good Day all…

As the subject line reads, this is a review of my overall impression of the Telus Pure Fiber internet after a couple of weeks of service.

Let’s start with the order process… The Condo building in which I reside was recently upgraded to support fiber. That process took approximately 4 days give, or take. The installation team consisted of about 5 members working in unison pulling the fiber between the various floors, and then installing a drop connection within all the various units… The entire team was very professional, courteous and well versed in the installation of the fiber drops. The installation within the unit was no more than an hour tops.

Once the drop was installed, the longest wait was to have Telus update their database reflecting the installation of the fiber so one could actually request a completed installation. That process took the better part of a couple weeks.

Again, when the address update was completed, I contacted an agent via a voice call to discuss the various plans and incentives being offered. That agent was courteous and very professional as well. He was knowledgeable of any offerings currently being promoted and was will in discuss options that I may need… We came to an agreement of what service in required, and set an installation date.

The date of installation was scheduled for the following Wednesday late in the morning. I was surprised by the timing as I called late Friday afternoon to arrange for the installation and thought I’d be looking at a longer installation date.

Approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival time of the installer, we received a call confirming that they, yes, they would arrive within the next few minutes, and just wanted to give a heads-up notice. Right on time within a minute of the scheduled appointment time they arrived.

After looking at the various locations of the needed fiber run withing the condo, the collected the various components required from their vehicle to complete the installation. The installation required a run of fiber between 2 rooms within the unit. That process was fully completed again with professionalism, and courteous manner. Utilizing the new near invisible fiber material, its impossible to see the fiber at all. The best install of a cable I have witnessed in over 40 years of being to the IT industry. These guys really knew their stuff…

Once hooked up, and speed tested, we show simultaneous transfer speeds in the high 930’s Mbps with a 4ms ping time. Very impressive indeed.

Did I mention that up until this time we have been loyal Shaw clients for almost 20 years, so converting to Telus was not taken lightly. What was considered, was the fact that after all this time with Shaw, all the incentives monetarily have been discontinued for us. Our service was going to increase by about $48.00 a month. Telus on the other hand offered an attractive incentive to convert, and commit to a 2-year plan.

I don’t normally take the time to do this type of review, however, I wanted to let anyone considering the switch from another IPS to Telus to seriously consider doing just that. I don’t normally endorse anyone provider as I believe they are just that, a service provider. If I don’t receive the service as expected, I have no problem changing them for someone else.

In this case I just wanted to give Kudos to the entire Telus team… Congrats from a satisfied client...

Highlighted
Advocate
Same goes for us. We’ve been with Shaw for over 15 years and they didn’t offer me anything when our contract expired. Went with Telus fibre and Optik TV and couldn’t be happier. Had the same experience, the installer was right on time and did an excellent job. He said that he would put the modem anywhere I wanted so I put it upstairs in our 2 storey house with the ONT in the basement. Perfect install.

Still, after returning every single piece of equipment to Shaw a month ago including every cable, power supply and remote, I’ve received 5 bills from Shaw for $650 for Internet, TV and unreturned equipment. The last bill I received this week said that if I don’t pay it, they will send it to a collection agency. The bill listed all the serial numbers of the equipment that I already returned. I called them each time and they told me that my balance is $0.00 and they actually owe me $58. I knew this was going to happen when they wouldn’t let me personally return the equipment back to the main warehouse or any of the mall locations. They emailed me a Canada Post shipping label for me to send it to the same warehouse 10 min from my house. There is no receipt that proves I returned everything except for a CP tracking number. What a bunch of clowns, don’t think I’ll even consider going back to them anytime soon.
Highlighted
Connector

@jackrabbit000 Interesting information you present... I as well received a notice that our equipment was not returned, and that they wanted $100.00 for the modem. Like your situation, we tried to return it to a local retail store only to be told they wouldn't take it, and then not offering any suggestion as to just how to go about returning the device. So back on the phone to Shaw yet again, and like yourself we were sent a prepaid label to return the device. We did that immediately.

Now here is a little bit of a difference in our 2 situations. The track did indeed show that the device was signed for when delivered to the Shaw warehouse. You might want to go back to the CP tracking site and confirm that option was not included.

Once I had that info I again called Shaw, and the additional charge has been removed from the account balance, and like yourself a refund is being processed.

Hope I'm done with them as of now.... Cheers

Highlighted
Advocate
Tracking shows that they received it and signed for it and I still have the tracking receipt. I shipped it on July 4 and they received it on July 6. Everytime I call them they say that they received the package. One guy even confirmed all the serial numbers for the modem, tv box and 2 PVR’s. But yet, they keep sending me a $650 bill saying it’s now overdue. Still charging me $135 for Internet and TV service after I cancelled it on July 3 after my Telus install is crazy.
Highlighted
Connector

I thought that after a month of Telus service, I would give an update in regards to how my service has fared.

I have had not one service drop at all… Rock solid stability. No matter what time of day, afternoon or evening has the upload/download speed dropped below 920 Mbps calculated via Speedtest.net

Still very glad I converted from the local cable internet provider. Saving money, and much faster speed…

Highlighted
Coach

This is generally consistent with my experience. I have a Shaw Business connection installed by my work as well as my home Telus fibre connection.

The Shaw connection was out for an hour earlier this week (for my neighbours too!), and is currently experiencing network issues such that the 75 Mbps speed is speed testing at about 2 Mbps, and I keep getting kicked off my VPN.

No issues on Telus.

The Telus network is simply more reliable in my experience.

Having said that, when things go wrong, it's a huge pain to deal with Telus. If only they could improve their customer service...

Highlighted
Connector

@loosemeatI lucked out when I had to call Telus about a small Issue. Trick was to do a search for "PureFibre Team" on the net.... Found a toll free that was answered by a human on the second ring. They had the problem solved in a matter of minutes... Cheers...

Highlighted
Connector

I’ll do a month review at this time.

I’ve had this running no stop 7/24 with out one single drop, or slowdown for over a month now. Utilizing both speedtest.net, and fast.com, the upload and download rate have stayed constant and very reliable.

Still very happy with the overall service and speed.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Unfortunately, this has not been my experience at all. I called Telus to arrange a PureFibre installation. A contractor came and couldn't install it. Telus came and check it out and said that better equipment was needed. Then, two more appointments were arranged and no one showed up at the appointed times. I called Telus and they said they will get back to me. It's been 2 months now and Telus is just wasting my time.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@localfolk A lot of questions. Have you checked to see if fiber is to your subdivision or street. Are you overhead or underground. Age of subdivision. If it is an older ug subdivision it is very costly to install fiber. Oh way cheaper. But all these things require an interest of the people living there to get a set of numbers of people who will connect to the fiber to make it worth while. The install crews are not large in numbers for telus.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Of course I checked all those things. Telus was the one that arranged the installation. Unfortunately, Telus hasn't put sufficient resources into their installation efforts.

Highlighted
Neighbour

errr... tried this, but there's no special line forTelus PureFibre and minimum wait to get through to a human is 1 hour.

Highlighted
Neighbour

They did the same to me. Threatened collector. I called them and was told they had just issued me a check but it would take 7 weeks or so for me to get it.....it took two months!