cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Telus/Actiontec T3200 Modem

homac
Neighbour

I am looking to replace my Telus/Actiontec T3200 with a TP-Link AX1800.   I have fibre internet only and no Telus Optik TV.

Is it as simply as removing the T3200 and using the same patch cable from LAN1 on the ONT to the WAN port of the  new TP-Link router?   

Is there any proprietary or special configuration required on the new router, or would it simply obtain a dynamic IP address and would be configured as any router would?

Thank-you for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero
Just do a straight swap as you describe. Should work.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

xray
Hero
Just do a straight swap as you describe. Should work.

Thank-you. Just did this and it worked. 👍

Just connected LAN1 on the ONT to the WAN port of the new TP-Link router and it came up right away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have provided a telus link explaining the difference between a dynamic versus static ip address:

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/business/support/article/about-ip-addresses

The router should have a static or manual or a dynamic ip address or dhcp  when first time setting up the router.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You posted a link for a business connection and not a residential one. The default config of the TP-Link router would not need to be changed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

use the default config of the tp link router, it should configure from the tp link  AX 1800 router ,DHCP automatically sent from the modem  to the tp link ax1800 router.

connect the TP-Link AX1800 using the WAN port on one end of the ethernet cable and the other end of the cable  to the LAN ports on the T3200M modem or the lan ports on the network access hub (NAH) modem.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Since you're parotting replies, there are multiple corrections for yours. There is no modem or NAH in this configuration. There is no "DHCP sent from the modem". That's not how DHCP works to begin with. The T3200M, which is also not a modem for this setup, is being removed from the configuration.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

This does not work. As mentioned I want to "replace" the Actiontec T3200, not piggy back off it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you want to upgrade to a new modem?

-NAH (network access Hun)  modem 

-wifi6 router or hub

Anonymous
Not applicable

you have the fibre modem ,the Nokia or alactel lucent but you want the TP Link AX 1800 device replace with the Actiontec T3200 modem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope fully the internet connection works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi night hawk , Do you have an  it back ground or a general knowledge as a computer user?