cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Telus Wi-Fi Hub with something smaller

weaseal
Just Moved In

Hello,

Let me preface by saying that I am a fiber newbie. I don't understand even basic terms related for fibre, but I work in tech (software) and can learn. So please go easy on me.

We have a Telus Wi-Fi Hub (this thing: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/my-wi-fi-app-for-wi-fi-hub) which terminates the fibre connection into our home. We have a separate Router and WiFi access point, and the Router and WiFi features in the Telus WiFi Hub are disabled, so we don't need it for that. We would like to replace the Telus WiFi Hub with something smaller and which does the bare minimum job of terminating fibre, as it is very large and we have very limited space in our home.  Something flat and wall-mountable would be ideal.

Could anyone tell me what terms to search on websites (Amazon, etc) so that I can find a product which will replace the Telus WiFi Hub, and allow me to plug into our Router? Or recommend products that will do this?

I believe the connector type of our fibre is called "SC APC" after googling different connectors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have just fibre internet or do you have Optik TV as well? If you have Optik, the Telus wifi hub would still be needed. If you don't have Optik, try calling Telus and see if they'll swap it out for an ONT. The ONT, while wall mountable, is still not small. The ONT is the simplest solution and is supported by Telus.

Searching for your own device isn't as easy and isn't newbie territory unfortunately. If there is ever a problem Telus won't be able to troubleshoot it and may charge for a tech to come out if the device you buy malfunctions or is faulty. That's if the device is even able to work in the first place. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have just fibre internet or do you have Optik TV as well? If you have Optik, the Telus wifi hub would still be needed. If you don't have Optik, try calling Telus and see if they'll swap it out for an ONT. The ONT, while wall mountable, is still not small. The ONT is the simplest solution and is supported by Telus.

Searching for your own device isn't as easy and isn't newbie territory unfortunately. If there is ever a problem Telus won't be able to troubleshoot it and may charge for a tech to come out if the device you buy malfunctions or is faulty. That's if the device is even able to work in the first place. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

We do not have TV service, only fibre internet. I'll try calling them about the ONT.  Funnily enough, the home had a Telus ONT in it when we moved in, but the fibre install tech took it saying it was not needed.

valiaig
Advocate

They do provide option to swap it with Network Access Hub. Though you might end up paying 150 for replacement .

I have seen people saying here that NAH can at as router standalone. But that seems to be not true. Only one port is enabled in standalone configuration. So it is modern day ONT box  with is able to provide 10 Gig speeds.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.11.46 PM.png