cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting Sonos SL speaker to TELUS WiFi Hub modem

KanoeKid
Organizer

Hi Community

I bought a Sonos SL speaker and tried to connect it to our TELUS Wifi Hub modem through the Sonos app. I have an existing Sonos connect amp on the network.

I tried connecting through WiFi and hard wired Ethernet into TELUS WiFi Hub.  Sonos SL speaker could not connect to the network.

Spent an hour on the phone with Sonos support, still unable to connect the speaker. Sonos Support thinks that the TELUS WiFi Hub is the problem and that it is not an actual router/modem.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Is the TELUS WiFi Hub a router/modem?

Any suggestions?

Also on the network: 2 Boost WiFi devices from TELUS, 2 Arris VIP5602W STB, Arris VIP5662W that is hard wired to TELUS WiFi Hub.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The manufacturer of the most recent Telus router is Arcadyan.

The easiest way to access the administrative interface is with an Ethernet connected computer. Using a web browser, go to website 192.168.1.254, then enter ‘admin’ and the Admin password on the hub. Under the Wi-Fi settings you should find the setting for SmartSteering. Once you turn it off, you can set it up with 2 SSID and 2 different Wi-Fi bands. You should then be able to connect the Sonos to the 2.4 GHz band.

See this link for more info. Note thy call it ‘Smart Wi-Fi’ in the article.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Search Sonos on the site, and you’ll find a number of threads on this topic. It seems Sonos, and Telus Smart Steering do not get along. Switching off Smart Steering and having two separate SSID fixed things for most folks.

NFtoBC

Thanks for that advice - couple follow on questions:

- is TELUS Smart Steering the name of the modem/router? The Sonos support person was trying to find what router model number it was and on the white TELUS device it says Model number: TELUS WifI Hub

The Sonos support could not find anything related to this device. Does it have a manufacturer model number?

- how do you switch off Smart Steering? When I tried to log into the TELUS WiFi Hub, for user name, I entered the WiFi Network name and password, entered admin password that is on the WiFi Hub and I got authorization failure. Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The manufacturer of the most recent Telus router is Arcadyan.

The easiest way to access the administrative interface is with an Ethernet connected computer. Using a web browser, go to website 192.168.1.254, then enter ‘admin’ and the Admin password on the hub. Under the Wi-Fi settings you should find the setting for SmartSteering. Once you turn it off, you can set it up with 2 SSID and 2 different Wi-Fi bands. You should then be able to connect the Sonos to the 2.4 GHz band.

See this link for more info. Note thy call it ‘Smart Wi-Fi’ in the article.

NFtoBC