Port forwarding not working on NH20A

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour
Overview > Router Information

Model Name:NH20A
Firmware Version:v1.16.03 build01
Boot Code Version:0.00.01
Hardware Version:R01

The above is my Telus router model. I need to use port forwarding, but after setting it up, port forwarding doesn't work, and even setting up DMZ doesn't work. Do I need to upgrade the router's firmware?

22 REPLIES 22

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I also have another Telus router, T3200M, which has the same issue. I followed the instructions in this post: (https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/T3200M-port-Forwarding-not-working/td-p/150860) and set the firewall to NAT Only as described in the last part, then restarted the router, but the problem still wasn't resolved.

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

Some people say it's a QoS version issue and that Telus needs to switch to NAT44, is that correct?

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

my NH20A's Serial Number:  ARCB3123D48F

T3200M's Serial #: GTBA6460906491

xray
Hero

AFAIK QoS has nothing to do with port forwarding. If you are indeed behind carrier grade NAT (NAT44) then port forwarding will not work. Check your WAP IP4 address to see if it's in the range from 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

Serious thanks! My current WAN is 75.157.?.?   I borrowed my neighbor's router to set up port forwarding and it worked.

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I'm borrowing my neighbor's router temporarily, but I'll need to give it back to them soon, so I still need to figure out how to get port forwarding working on my own router.

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

my NH20A wan ip: 207.6.?.?

my T3200M  wan ip: 75.157.?.?

You are not behind carrier grade NAT which is what your test with your neighbors router confirmed. If port forwarding doesn't work on your router then try doing a factory reset and starting from that.

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

thank you very much.  I just reset to factory settings again, reconfigured port forwarding, but it still doesn't work. I also set up DMZ, but I still can't access my local network computer. 😞

I don't have a NH20A so I can't offer any specific advice. Did you try your T3200M?

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks so much,  I've tried T3200M and it still isn't working. :((

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

屏幕截图 2024-08-28 111008.png

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

yay!

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I've been testing with T3200M Iperf test  and found that when I set up a server test on port 80, I can access the router's web interface using the WAN IP. However, under normal circumstances, the router doesn't forward traffic on port 80 to the local IP address I've specified in the port forwarding settings.

xray
Hero

You're forwarding port 80 which may or may not be blocked. The TELUS page I had bookmarked as a reference for the policy is no longer valid and I couldn't find a new one.

I forward non standard ports for my security camera server and it works without using a DMZ.

How are you testing?

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I successfully accessed my T3200M from home, so its port forwarding is up and running! I'm unsure if the local machine inside NH20A is on, but I'll check at the office tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed everything is working smoothly, yay!

thank you so much!!

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I'm thrilled to report that both my T3200M and NH20A's port forwarding are now functioning properly, thanks again to xray and TelusSupport for their help!

I've got one last tiny issue, if Telus' tech support can help me resolve it, that'll be the icing on the cake, haha!

Good to hear. What was the actual issue and fix? It would be beneficial to others if you could post the details.

Henryxx
Helpful Neighbour

I'm not entirely sure which step was crucial, so I'll write down my process. I followed the usual steps to set up the router, but it didn't work. I then restored the factory settings, restarted, and reconfigured, but it still didn't work. This was similar to my experience a few years ago when setting up another T3200M.  I called Telus' technical support, and somehow it started working on its own one day. This time, I saw Telus had this online forum to help users, so I came here seeking assistance. However, the issue persisted until two nights ago when I tried accessing the T3200M's WAN IP+port from home, and it worked normally. But when I tried accessing it again from the office the next day, it didn't work. I then realized that I was able to access the T3200M multiple times from home, so I connected my computer to the NH20A and simulated a remote connection to access the T3200M's WAN IP+port, and it worked. After repeating this process several times, I discovered that my computer was connected to a different router's WiFi (i.e., my client computer's WAN IP was different from the T3200M's WAN IP), I could access the T3200M's WAN IP+port. But if my computer was connected to the T3200M, I couldn't access its WAN IP+port.

My NH20A went through the same process.

xray
Hero

You normally can't access the WAN IP from inside your LAN on most routers. I suspected that might be happening so that's why I asked you a few posts ago how you were testing.

You need to test from the Internet side via mobile data connection or another location.