cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to enjoy 1.5gb speed internet upgrade

DragonDal
Neighbour

I recently upgraded my internet 1.5gb speed. However it most unfortunate that I use wired connection to my pc, Telus recent hardware does not support anything faster than 1gb wired. Seems like waste, I also kind of think it is false advertisement when they offer 1.5gb speed internet but don't have the proper hardware to actually provide 1.5gb speed hard wired to your pc. Very disappointing .I am hoping they will be able to provide proper hardware to be able to get Higher than 1gb speed .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DragonDal Wrote: Telus wifi hub which is that has 1gb wan port and 4x 1gb lan ports and my pc has a 2 5gb nic I would get 1 5gb speed correct.

I think the simple answer is no. if the Telus hub as you have referred to it, has a 1Gbps WAN port and 4 1Gbps LAN ports, the best you will see is 1Gbps speed throughput on the wireline.

Now if you have Telus equipment capable of either 2.5Gbps WAN and LAN or in the example of the Arcadyan NH20A Router having a fibre WAN connection, and the Capability of 10Gbps LAN port you see the capability of full 1.0Gbps, 1.5Gbps, right up to the 2.5Gbps speeds currently offered by Telus.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DrPacman
Rockstar

@DragonDal Wrote: Telus recent hardware does not support anything faster than 1gb wired. 

Actually this is not correct. Telus will support up to a 2.5Gbps hardwired connection to various devices. Now, for this to work correctly you must have compatible hardware throughout the entire connection chain. i.e. the incoming signal in your case must be 1.5gbps and any and all additional hardware must be capable of 1.5Gbps or faster.

You cant have a 1.5Gbps incoming signal, then pass that to a laptop/desktop with a 1gbps NIC interface and expect to get the full 1.5gbps speeds.

There have been a number of threads discussing this topic here on the forum over the last little while. a few are linked here for your reference.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/PureFibre-1-5-GB-but-speed-remains-1GB/td-p/131569

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzk69kHLu1o

As well a YouTube video discussing this very subject. Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Getting full speed out of my Telus 1.5 gbps connection using pfSense and a Broadcom 10gig ethernet card. Telus provides the GPON SFP module which normally plugs into their own supplied router. In my setup I have removed the module from their device and am running directly into pfSense. The ...

Hi there,

Well so you are saying the with telus wifi hub which is that has 1gb wan port and 4x 1gb lan ports and my pc has a 2 5gb nic I would get 1 5gb speed correct.

Warm regards,

Holger

@DragonDal Wrote: Telus wifi hub which is that has 1gb wan port and 4x 1gb lan ports and my pc has a 2 5gb nic I would get 1 5gb speed correct.

I think the simple answer is no. if the Telus hub as you have referred to it, has a 1Gbps WAN port and 4 1Gbps LAN ports, the best you will see is 1Gbps speed throughput on the wireline.

Now if you have Telus equipment capable of either 2.5Gbps WAN and LAN or in the example of the Arcadyan NH20A Router having a fibre WAN connection, and the Capability of 10Gbps LAN port you see the capability of full 1.0Gbps, 1.5Gbps, right up to the 2.5Gbps speeds currently offered by Telus.

Hi Dr,
Yeah exactly what I thought hence my original post after contacting Telus support and was told that they do not have any hardware that supports anything highrr than 1gb . I have the Arcadyan WiFi hub. So now i am confused . I guess will have to contact them again about upgrading to the Arcadyan NH20A Router having a fibre WAN connection, and the Capability of 10Gbps LAN port

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

While any one device might not exceed 1GB if you use multiple devices at the same time you could potentially reach the 1.5GB speed advertised.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.