Randyh2
Friendly Neighbour

First, WHERE IS THE ENGLISH???

When you converted me from copper to fiber,
I was told the fiber box had a battery that may last
up to 3 hours if the power went out.
My power just went out.
I had no internet and no phone.
Does the Nokia box have  battery backup?
At least on copper, I still had a phone if the power went out.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Nokia does not have a battery. Telus will supply a battery backed power supply for customers who have a landline service but no cellular plan.

BTW, you won't have internet unless all the other devices, especially your router,  are on UPS.

The battery can cease to work at the very time you need it most, and the cellular network has multiple avenues of communication, so is preferred in most instances of power outage.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SaitamaReborn
Organizer

I've had my power go out... and I still had connectivity... but I have both my Arcadyan and Modem on a dedicated UPS.

The only thing that had battery backup built in was the Telus-ADT alarm display pad.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Nokia does not have a battery. Telus will supply a battery backed power supply for customers who have a landline service but no cellular plan.

BTW, you won't have internet unless all the other devices, especially your router,  are on UPS.

The battery can cease to work at the very time you need it most, and the cellular network has multiple avenues of communication, so is preferred in most instances of power outage.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Randyh2
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks!

Looks like the person who installed it didn't know that the Nokia has no battery.

He did say they had one with a battery for extra money, but didn't think it was worth it.

Thankfully it was only a 5 minute outage.

@Randyh2 @NFtoBC @SaitamaReborn   I have telus fiber with the ont & battery backup and a 3200 router modem. Power out hand held phones do not work base station and remotes need 120 plug in. You can't use the internet because the 3200 also needs a 120 plug. Hard wired phones work just fine but the battery life will depend on how much you use the phone. Read a book or something.

Randyh2
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks... I finally looked at the power supply...
it says output is 12 volts, but doesn’t say, so I assume it is DC?
In the worst case, I could hook a car battery to it!