cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New home 14 ethernet ports + 6 PoE devices

dcjensen
Neighbour

I will be moving to a new home next year and it will have 14 ethernet ports and 6 PoE devices.

Do I need to be looking into running my own switch outside of the communications panel to support all 14 ethernet ports? I know I need something like this for the PoE devices (https://ca.store.ui.com/ca/en/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/udm-se UniFi Dream Machine).

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn't have a router that has that many ports, and zero with PoE. Are all 14 ports connected to the comm panel? Are you getting gigabit fibre or something faster? You may also want to search the forums here as some users have had some success with Ubiquiti hardware and others have had some issues.

I have several plain old gigabit switches around my home though my comm panel only has 5 ethernet ports connected to it. Most switches are connected to the other end in the various rooms. Easily have more than 14 devices between them all. Everything I have connects through one of Telus's routers and I have had no issues.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

My new home hasn't started construction yet so I'm unsure if all 14 ports would be connected to the comm panel.

In my current home (also was a new build), the developer didn't terminate my cables and left it for Telus to do and I had to pay out of pocket. I went into the panel to check and they have a modem, patch, and switch in the comm panel to support 4-5 ethernet ports in my house.

Seeing the switch made me start thinking about my new home and how 14 ports + 6 PoE would be supported.

I'll do some searching for Ubiquiti in the forums, thank you.