cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MoCa Adapters

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
Hi there, I just recently bought two MoCa adapters today to connect my devices via wired. I have a T3200M modem located downstairs. Here’s the question: How do I connect the first MoCa adapter do I just need to follow the intruction that actiontec gave (connect the first adapter to coax wall outlet and connect the lan cable to the modem) or is there something else that I need to do? Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

xray
Hero
You don't need a MoCa adapter to connect to the T3200M since it already has a coax port to connect to.

Is the router downstairs near where the coax cables run to the rest of the house? If so then you might be able to connect it up without additional coax. If not then you need to additional coax to run from the router to your house coax and connect it with either a coax splitter or coupler. There may be one there already for cable TV.

You use the MoCa adapter on the other end of the house coax run. Connect coax from the wall to the MoCa adapter and an Ethernet cable from the MoCa adapter to your device.

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
So do I just need to connect a coax cable from my modem to the coax wall outlet? And the adapter will go to my room and then I’ll use a coax cable to connect the adapter to a coax outlet and connect any devices using ethernet cable?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Typically, yes that is all you should need to do.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Where exactly is your router located? If your router is in a room with a coax wall outlet chances are that the other end of that coax run isn't in your other room. It probably terminates in your mechanical room.

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
The modem is in downstairs living room. And my console/laptop etc is in second floor (my room). The coax wall outlet near the modem downstairs is not used. My room also has a coax wall outlet and not used aswell. So sorry about my grammar though!

It may work if the other end of both coax run are joined with a passive splitter. The splitter will be where the cable for TV comes in from outside. If you are on Optik TV the coax may have been disconnected at that location.

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
We have an optik tv. So the coax outlet in downstairs near the modem may not be working? If so, Using MoCa are pointless? Or there still be a chance to use them?

The coax in the wall goes somewhere. It typically doesn't go from room to room. They typically fan out from a central location where the cable TV company line comes into the house. You just need to determine if the coax outlets in both rooms are connected to each other on the other end at that central location.

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
Understood. So firstly, I need to connect a coax cable from the modem to the coax outlet (downstairs). Second, use the MoCa adapters connect it to the coax wall outlet/connect any devices using ethernet cable (upstairs). Also, what if the coax outlet downstairs didn’t work at the first place? Is there any chance to make the MoCa work eg. use another adapter and connect it to modem’s coax outlet?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the coax outlet downstairs does not work, you will need to repair it, or replace it with either a fresh coax line, or Ethernet.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

carlangeles
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks! Will test it tonight. Also, do I need to activate anything from the modem in order to make the MoCa built in work?

If this doesn’t work I may return the adapter and just get a telus wifi booster. Just wanna ask it has a one ethernet port at the back right? The first node (downstairs) is to connect it to the modem and the second (upstairs), is it possible to connect my devices with it and basically it will become “wired”? I do have a ethernet switch so I could connect more devices.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, it is possible to connect Ethernet devices (except Optik TV) to the second Boost device, effectively using the pair as a wireless bridge.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the MoCA port on the T3200M is already in use, then you may run into problems. This happens in some fibre installs where the T3200M is installed in a different location than where the fibre comes in, 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

BrainiacBoy
Organizer

I have a related question.

Does Moca work as a broadcast network and can have multiple moca devices on the coax talking to each other as long as the coax cable is all connected? (like the old Thick/thin ethernet from the 60's and 70's)?

Or is it a point-to-point, for only two devices?  Like a patch cable.  For every pair of devices I need a separate set of coax to connect them.

I ask because I want to use it to connect all the Wifi Boost units to Moca so they do not use Wifi to talk to each other thus saving wifi bandwidth for my wifi devices.  Some of the units have no where to get wired ethernet from but could get connected via coax.

I just got my install done (upgrade to pure fibre).

According to what was said and done, moca is a broadcast network not a point to point.

I wanted to use it for Wifi boost backhaul traffic to preserve wifi bandwidth for my wireless devices.  I was told this was not supported because it could affect Optik TV quality of service.  So, the optic TV is using moca which still gets some traffic off Wifi.  (One unit was wireless and is now on Moca.)

But I don't understand how having Optik TV on Ethernet/Wifi with a WIFI network with wired backhaul could be worse than ethernet/Wifi where the Wifi also used Wifi (the way it was).  Insights, comments?  Is this only because Optik TV problems become immediately visible whereas a lot of wireless device usage problems are not always visible so we don't know when "small/brief" problems occur?

I haven't played with this stuff for a while, but as I recall you can have up to 16 MOCA devices in a coaxial network and they can be Ethernet RJ45 output at the user device (like a computer, set-top box, xbox or TV) or there is a version that converts to a WiFi (wireless) output if you need to extend wireless to a poorly covered area. Google Actiontec MOCA (TELUS uses ECB6200) and you'll find various models and configurations. Many people like wireless but as more and more devices in your home compete for wireless spectrum you'll see a drop in speed and notice "pixelation" problems on your TVs, so really MOCA is a solution for fixed devices like desktops, XBoxes and TVs, while wireless should be reserved for smartphones, laptops and the like. I have a combination network where I use MOCA in my 2 storey 3000 sq ft home and use a wireless repeater to get to my shop and garage for the devices located there, the system works much better than pure wireless. That's my $0.25 worth for now...