cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched to Telus - Conflicting information about fiber run to house

Savah
Neighbour

This is a bit of a complex question, and im not sure anyone here will even have an answer, but here goes.

TLDR: Primex box where fiber comes into house needs to be moved, this will involve running a new fiber line into house, and phone techs promised this was doable and could be done for free.  Installation tech said it wasnt possible and even if it was possible would be very expensive.

I had previously talked to both sales people, and techs on the phone about this.  They said they could get this done and count it as the "free installation" if I switched to Telus, so i did.

About a year ago Telus sent some techs to the house to connect it with fiber,  I live in a townhouse so this meant running a fiber line from the maintenance/distribution shed to my unit.  It was done for free at the time, and also involved hacking a hole in my wall that was never properly closed back up because the demarcation point didnt have access, as well as mounting the little white box that im assuming is the fiber termination point right next to there on that wall.  The tech who came called it a primex box.

Recently ive been forced to do some renovations because that wall isnt very soundproof and me and my neighbor can easily hear each other even just having quiet conversations.  The holes in the wall due to both the Telus and Shaw demarcations probably dont help with that, so ive decided I need to move the demarcation points, patch up those holes, and then build a second floating soundproof wall in front of that wall. 

Ive run some conduit to a neighboring room that will connect to the conduit coming into my house in order to route the old demarcation points to a better location that has an easy to access junction box for future proofing.  Shaws demarcation point has already been successfully moved there.  And the Telus tech that came to install my internet put the ONT and modem in that same room, but said that moving the fiber line wasnt in his job description and might even be completely impossible.  Im aware that it means having to run a brand new, slightly longer fiber line, but the techs on the phone promised this was doable.  Unfortunately it only needs to move about 4ft, but the techs who installed the primex box in the first place didnt even leave an extra inch of cable so it needs to be redone.

1720895704374.jpg

conduit2.png

1722518813424.jpg

 Its a mess i know sorry lol.  The primex box is now on that piece of drywall thats flipped backwards and wedged into the wall.  It needed to be done to run the new conduit.

1 REPLY 1

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hi there, To get this sorted, can you send us a private message? We'd like to get someone to look into this for you. 

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.