cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly cutting out/ not working

Taj_1
Friendly Neighbour

Anybody else having random interruptions today or periods in which the wifi totally cuts off?

I am connected to the main modem and have pure fibre, I have boosters around my home too and the internet is always seamless. But today there have been random interruptions and I notice sometimes my modem wifi goes out and automatically connects me to the booster wifi network, which works a bit better but also cuts out? I have not moved around anything, and my wifi devices are being used from the same spot as usual. 

Is anybody else experiencing problems today. I am in the Surrey BC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here is the Telus documentation:

Enable Smart Wi-Fi on Advanced Wi-Fi modem | TELUS Support

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Taj_1
Friendly Neighbour

I would try using a LAN cable but my laptop does not have an ethernet port

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No issues for me.

The problem sounds like it may be more of something with the computer jumping between networks. Do you have any other wireless devices, like a phone or tablet? Were they displaying the same behaviour also?

If your laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, you can get USB to gigabit ethernet adapters for like $15. For example this adapter.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Taj_1
Friendly Neighbour
It seems to be a common problem among all my devices. The wifi will cut out and then reconnect and cut out again. It seems like it could be an modem problem? Since when it connects me to the wifi booster it works at very slow speeds for a short while and then disconnects as well? I will contact Telus tomorrow morning it seems, hopefully it resolves. I had a similar issue with it Wednesday morning but it started working again throughout the day.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only other thing I could think of if multiple devices are affected is Smart Steering (if you have a T3200M gateway). If Smart Steering is enabled the gateway will switch between the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless bands if it detects a weak signal with one. That could momentarily disconnect your devices and they'd basically jump to the next available network.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Taj_1
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you, do you know where I would be able to check if smart steering is on?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here is the Telus documentation:

Enable Smart Wi-Fi on Advanced Wi-Fi modem | TELUS Support

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Taj_1
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you, I will take a look