cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 routing breaking intermittently since after the latest power outage

luca1
Organizer

Hi,

I've been using IPv6 connectivity on my residential fibre line for over a year.  Telus installed both an Actiontech T3200M and a separate ONT box.  Since Oct 25, and the connected power outage in our area (North Delta), IPv6 routing goes down a while (an hour or so) after restarting my router (pfSense).  IPv4 is not affected (working).

I searched the forum, and found this thread, which seems to explain what is going on:

Intermittent-ipv6-connectivity-after-upgrading-to-fiber-in-North 

This is what I get when I try to ping an IPv6 address:

~# ping -6 www.google.com
PING www.google.com(sea09s17-in-x04.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:400a:804::2004)) 56 data bytes
From pfsense.localdomain (2001:569:7ef6:9f00:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx) icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: No route

traceroute dies at my LAN IPv6 address.

The behaviour is the same whether the T3200M is in or out of the chain, which seems to points to a problem with the ONT, or even upstream?

I'm scared of having to call in with a relatively obscure technical issue, so I'm trying my luck here. 🙂

Luca

5 REPLIES 5

polecat
All-Star

@luca1  I assume the outage was wind related trees down etc. Possible your device had a voltage surge that has weakened something inside. Some devices allow for a reasonable spike some not. Surge voltages can go well over 2 to 300 volt when two hv wires slap together. I think you will require visit from telus unless an online test can be done from telus end . 30 some years power line man.  Polecat

Hi polecat,

Both ONT and T3200 are under an UPS, besides IPv4 is always 100% solid, so I doubt this is caused by something at my place.  The IPv6 default gateway route "disappears" from my router's table after a while.  I think the problem is with IPv6 Router Advertisement not working properly, much like in the thread I linked.

@luca1  If you have a good ups that is great and you should be ok. Some people rely on surge power bars there only good for one power bump won't catch the next one. Good luck with your  problem. Polecat

luca1
Organizer

Somehow the problem fixed itself, after a couple of days.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   IPv6 default gateway is not expiring anymore.

It would be great if a network tech from Telus would eventually come along an explain the mystery 🙂

kmo12345
Friendly Neighbour

This just happened to me.

I think the problem is because Telus has two (or more) types of edge routers that handle ipv6. One which seems to be fine and another which is broken.

I am actually running two different routers off the same connection (one for my business and one for my personal). I had one on a UPS so it stayed up during the power outage. When the power came back, only the one that stayed up through the outage had working ipv6 but it had a different gateway. I then rebooted both of them and now neither have working ipv6 and they have the same gateway...

Super frustrating. I wish Telus would fix their broken ipv6 implementation.