cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use another Telus Wi-Fi Modem (T3200M) as an extender or put into bridge mode?

Learner
Just Moved In

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to use the extra T3200M modem in my household as a Wi-Fi extender or set up as another access point for the internet connection. The bridge mode is enabled on both modems; I don't know if that makes a difference.

My main goal is to use it as an access point for upstairs while the main router (the same model) is connected in the basement to the internet (DSL).

So far, I've tried different ideas posted online but no luck.  I figured out how to configure the Wi-Fi connections but no internet access on the 2nd modem.

Thanks in advance for any help given. 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200 is not able to be configured as an extender. It will always act as a router and create it's own wireless networks. Bridge mode won't solve this issue and may actually make it worse if you're trying to set up a home network where the devices can communicate with each other.

If you plan to use the second T3200 as a router (separate wireless network), you'll need to run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on your first T3200M to the WAN port on the second T3200M. Only then will it get an internet connection. If the first T3200 is not bridged, you'll also want to change the IP range (192.168.1.x to something like 192.168.10.x) on the second one so they don't conflict with each other. The second one would not need to be bridged.

Telus does also have the Boost Wifi extenders if you're just looking to extend your wireless network. There are third party wireless extenders out there that can be paired with the T3200 to extend the network. Some don't even need an ethernet connection. You'd end up having to buy them though as Telus doesn't offer those specific ones. I've never used them personally so I can't comment on which ones work best. I've always just used a third party router connected by ethernet to the T3200. I have never bridged my T3200.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200 is not able to be configured as an extender. It will always act as a router and create it's own wireless networks. Bridge mode won't solve this issue and may actually make it worse if you're trying to set up a home network where the devices can communicate with each other.

If you plan to use the second T3200 as a router (separate wireless network), you'll need to run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on your first T3200M to the WAN port on the second T3200M. Only then will it get an internet connection. If the first T3200 is not bridged, you'll also want to change the IP range (192.168.1.x to something like 192.168.10.x) on the second one so they don't conflict with each other. The second one would not need to be bridged.

Telus does also have the Boost Wifi extenders if you're just looking to extend your wireless network. There are third party wireless extenders out there that can be paired with the T3200 to extend the network. Some don't even need an ethernet connection. You'd end up having to buy them though as Telus doesn't offer those specific ones. I've never used them personally so I can't comment on which ones work best. I've always just used a third party router connected by ethernet to the T3200. I have never bridged my T3200.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂