cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone/internet hub panel

cdnstudent22
Friendly Neighbour
Hey I have a quick (possibly dumb) question.

I remember when we were setting up/troubleshooting my home phone that the tech said we could plug directly into the big square panel hub thing (forget the name) as it has a port listed as “phone”

I thought this would be convenient as I don’t have a specific phone jack in that room. I plugged it in but couldn’t get a dial tone, is there anything special you have to do to connect to that hub like a filter?

Thanks for any info
5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The phone service has to be provisioned to your Fibre account, and your current copper landline account will be switched to Fibre. The phone output on the ONT becomes point 0 of your home phone wiring, and all your house phone wiring will need to be connected to it.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

cdnstudent22
Friendly Neighbour
Sorry I should have specified I already had Telus fibre service for internet and tv but had no home phone service of any kind, this was just a fresh add on we decided to get.

As far as I can’t tell there is no telephone connection wiring from that box at all, just wires going to my wireless modem and tv box etc so I’m confused how it’s connected to the phone lines at all, all my jacks are active so it’s strange. Maybe the way it’s hooked up is why I can’t use that panel phone jack?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You already have telephone service on other rooms, but did not purchase telephone service?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

cdnstudent22
Friendly Neighbour
No I had no telephone service, just my cell phone, I just added home phone service a couple weeks ago

@cdnstudent22  You got fiber internet and tv right but no land line. Later have phone hooked up phone jacks now work. Your phone is hooked up to the old copper from pole.  You have to ask to have phone hooked to fiber. Then copper line to house is disconnected and internal house phone wires are hooked to ONT.. You have internet on fiber phone on copper at the moment.