cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping

Saadafsy
Organizer

I switched from Shaw 300 download and 15 upload to TELUS PureFibre 1 gigabit upload and download, On the Telus website it says that it is rated the #1 gaming isp in Canada, however in fortnite I am getting more ping than I got with Shaw, I am averaging 80-100 ping while with Shaw I averaged 40-50. Will my ping calm down after a couple of days?

I play on wired connection and on the game Fortnite

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RonAKA - Speed tests are a little different than the latency to the game server in question. Ookla will typically use the server closest to you so you'll often see a very low ping. Fortnite servers are in California. (Existing discussion about Fortnite latency) Change server locations on speedtest.net to one in California and you'll see the difference.

@Saadafsy I'm on 25mbps bonded copper and get about 70ms average to Fortnite servers (east and west coast). It's playable for me at least.

The problem with Epic is they are using Amazon AWS for their peering/network. Most of the AWS nodes do not respond to ping tests. It's nearly impossible to tell where along the connection the additional latency is being introduced. Epic's tech support also has no idea what to do in regards to complaints about latency. I've asked them already on more than one occasion. I suspect the issue is likely with AWS but I don't know of any way to have Epic or AWS look into this.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Saadafsy
Organizer

Also in case if it doesn’t get better after a couple days is there any way to optimize?

I use a bonded modem 75 service (two copper lines) and get about 80 down and 20 up. Ping is 4 ms. I have not found any reason to convert to Fiber, despite the fact Telus has spent the whole summer digging up our neighbourhood including my front lawn. Telus Ookla test results below. If you have two copper lines coming in, this Internet 75 service may be better for gaming. 

RonAKA_0-1598975152666.png

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RonAKA - Speed tests are a little different than the latency to the game server in question. Ookla will typically use the server closest to you so you'll often see a very low ping. Fortnite servers are in California. (Existing discussion about Fortnite latency) Change server locations on speedtest.net to one in California and you'll see the difference.

@Saadafsy I'm on 25mbps bonded copper and get about 70ms average to Fortnite servers (east and west coast). It's playable for me at least.

The problem with Epic is they are using Amazon AWS for their peering/network. Most of the AWS nodes do not respond to ping tests. It's nearly impossible to tell where along the connection the additional latency is being introduced. Epic's tech support also has no idea what to do in regards to complaints about latency. I've asked them already on more than one occasion. I suspect the issue is likely with AWS but I don't know of any way to have Epic or AWS look into this.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I did a Fortnite ping test and the lowest I got was 56 to Ohio. However, it seems to me that the OP is concerned about ping speed due to hardware and service to the residence. To eliminate the issue of ping delay in the overall network and just focus on what the local hardware and service is contributing it seems to make sense to me to do a test to the closest server. There is not much you can do to fix the overall internet speed, but you can change your local hardware and service. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There have been complaints about Epic's server latency for some time that affect both DSL and fibre. 

That website you referred to may say 56ms to Ohio but in game is a different result. Even in game, Epic is showing the servers having lower latency then actual. Their west server was showing about 35ms as the advertised latency in game but when connected to that server in game it was 70ms. Their eastern US server often advertises as 55ms approx when I'm in game but also ends up being actually 70ms when connected.

The server address they recommend users traceroute to to test latency is qosping-aws-us-west-1.ol.epicgames.com. I get 67ms when testing direct to that address. AWS blocks out pretty much every hop from where the connection leaves Telus' network, right up to the destination server. 

Example:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                           192.168.1.254 -    0 |   25 |   25 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                            10.145.148.1 -    0 |   25 |   25 |    4 |    4 |    5 |    5 |
|                             154.11.2.83 -    0 |   25 |   25 |   25 |   26 |   38 |   26 |
|                            99.82.182.84 -    0 |   25 |   25 |   24 |   25 |   42 |   42 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |    6 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |    6 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|ec2-52-53-85-226.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com -    0 |   25 |   25 |   75 |   75 |   77 |   76 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

99.82.182.84 is the first Amazon AWS node.

@Saadafsy - Ping will depend on where the servers are located and in some cases the platform you're playing on (PC vs console). The further away they are the higher the ping. California and Texas have historically been higher ping. Lowest ping I've had consistently was Chicago. Telus has a fibre line running out there and a number of the servers I played on there are as low as 43ms but average about 50ms. 70ms in Fortnite is still easily playable.

I tried a alone creative server and averaged around 80-100 ping, with shaw 300 i had 40 ping in a br server with 100 people, 

Saadafsy
Organizer

Which games run low ping with Telus?