Has anyone had a successful, pain free migration to Google Mail?

Highlighted
Connector

Most people discussing the migration of Telus email to Google Mail are coming with questions and/or complaints.  This is unnerving as I contemplate initiating the migration.  It would be helpful to know how often the migration works seamlessly.  If ever. 😉

Has anyone had a successful, problem free migration to Google Mail?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

If we restrict the scope to mail only, then yes, I had a seamless pain free migration from Telus mail to Gmail. I was using Thunderbird and POP3. Incoming mail was downloaded from the Telus server each time I logged in. I very rarely used the Telus Webmail, only when traveling. And if we put aside the risk of having your mail stored on a Google floating barge in a third world country, I am more happy with the Gmail system than the Telus system. I can now access my mail on my phone. I still use Thunderbird and am quite happy with that arrangement. I now use IMAP instead of POP3. That means the mail stays on the Google server (so I can access it from my phone or anywhere I have internet), but Thunderbird mirrors it and downloads a copy of the mail to my home PC where it is saved on my hard drive. Changes made in Thunderbird are immediately also made on the Google server, and vice versa. The only issue I am having is that I occasionally have to resign into Google and enter my password. Not sure what is causing that...

The Calendar is another matter. I was using Thunderbird Lightning. There is an add on for Thunderbird that is supposed to sync a Google Calendar to the Lightning calendar. That did not work and it seemed to be caused by the flavour of the gmail account that Telus created. The add on worked for direct gmail accounts, but not the Telus created account. I finally found a work around with another add on, that simply displays the Google Calendar as a tab in Thunderbird, and does not use Lightning. That seems to work fine. 

I don't know what you are using for an e-mail on your computer, but one piece of advice I would give you is to go into the Telus Webmail and download all the mail on their server. If you have an email system that saves your email on your hard drive, then you will have all your old email regardless of what Telus does. 

Hope that helps some,

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

If we restrict the scope to mail only, then yes, I had a seamless pain free migration from Telus mail to Gmail. I was using Thunderbird and POP3. Incoming mail was downloaded from the Telus server each time I logged in. I very rarely used the Telus Webmail, only when traveling. And if we put aside the risk of having your mail stored on a Google floating barge in a third world country, I am more happy with the Gmail system than the Telus system. I can now access my mail on my phone. I still use Thunderbird and am quite happy with that arrangement. I now use IMAP instead of POP3. That means the mail stays on the Google server (so I can access it from my phone or anywhere I have internet), but Thunderbird mirrors it and downloads a copy of the mail to my home PC where it is saved on my hard drive. Changes made in Thunderbird are immediately also made on the Google server, and vice versa. The only issue I am having is that I occasionally have to resign into Google and enter my password. Not sure what is causing that...

The Calendar is another matter. I was using Thunderbird Lightning. There is an add on for Thunderbird that is supposed to sync a Google Calendar to the Lightning calendar. That did not work and it seemed to be caused by the flavour of the gmail account that Telus created. The add on worked for direct gmail accounts, but not the Telus created account. I finally found a work around with another add on, that simply displays the Google Calendar as a tab in Thunderbird, and does not use Lightning. That seems to work fine. 

I don't know what you are using for an e-mail on your computer, but one piece of advice I would give you is to go into the Telus Webmail and download all the mail on their server. If you have an email system that saves your email on your hard drive, then you will have all your old email regardless of what Telus does. 

Hope that helps some,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Connector

Thanks Ron.  That's reassuring.  The time may have finally come when I must abandon Eudora and switch to Thunderbird.  I tried testing Eudora to get it to download messages from my Gmail account, which is theoretically possible, but I couldn't get it to work despite setting up Less Secure Apps etc. Which does not bode well for using Google Mail after the migration.  Besides which Google is promising to stop allowing "less secure apps" altogether in 2021. 

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

No!  I started with Chat and spent ages trying to get my Telus Mailboxes moved as they have years of personal and business information that I need.   The Telus person had no idea how to make the transfer to Google;  so, he referred it to the technical team and they were going to make the migration.   That was a week ago and my Mailboxes have not moved.   Before requiring a move from Telus to Google, one would think that they would insure that they knew how to do it before requiring customers to make it the transfer.   That would be common sense!   

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Simple thing would be to move your stored emails to a folder on your computer in your choice of email client. Than they aren’t subject to the migration process.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Good Samaritan
Tried to move them. They won't move.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Essjay1; "The time may have finally come when I must abandon Eudora and switch to Thunderbird."

It looks like that is possible but not exactly straightforward. From what I see, you have to install an old version of Thunderbird (17.0.9) that has the capability to import Eudora to do it. I presume after you do the import and verify everything is good, then you can upgrade Thunderbird to the current version... See this link:

Importing from Eudora to Thunderbird

I don't know much about Eudora, but I suspect you will like Thunderbird. I find it so much better than Outlook or Outlook Express which I converted from. The only issue I had with the Telus conversion was with integrating the Google Calendar into Lightning which is the calendar add on to Thunderbird. The add on to do it did not work with the Telus created Google Account. However, I found another add on that inserts an Open Google Calendar tab right into Thunderbrid. I was also able to import all my past and future calendar appointments from Lightning to Google Calendar. 

Hope that helps some. If you are going to convert to Thunderbird my suggestion would be to do it and get things all sorted out before you let Telus Google you.

Highlighted
Connector

I did install an earlier version of Tbird that would let me import my Eudora data, then upgraded to the current version.  That seemed successful.  I don’t use an online calendar, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I have some questions in to the Tbird community forum.  As you say, Ron, it is best to have everything lined up before turning Telus and Google loose.

Thanks for your cogent advice.  I appreciate hearing from someone for whom the migration ran without hitches.  (If pressing the Go button happens to lead to problems, you may hear from me again. 😉 )

Highlighted
Ambassador

Another thing to think about is Contacts. I had thousands of contacts in my Thunderbird which were imported from Outlook, which mirrored my work Outlook. I'm long retired but never got around to cleaning up my Contacts. I did that also before migrating to Gmail. It was not really critical as I never had contacts in my Telus Webmail. They were all in the Thunderbird address book. In my iPhone I manually entered a very short list of contacts with mainly phone numbers, as I did not do email on my phone. I also installed an iPhone app for Ooma which has some neat features. It allows you to make cell phone calls for free whenever you have WiFi. It also lets me hear messages left on my home Ooma phone. It also has a contact list in addition to the iPhone contact list. All on its own it seem to sync with the iPhone list. All was kind of good.

Then I got Googled by Telus and started doing email on my iPhone using the Gmail app. I then discovered I had no contacts to use to send new emails. I could just respond to ones I received, or had to manually enter each email address. I kind of let sleeping dogs lie for a while, but today I decided to try and get the Google Contacts working. My first attempt which was easy was to export the Thunderbird Address book to a CSV file, and then import it into Google Contacts. That worked fine. Then I learned I could set my iPhone to sync my iPhone contact list with a Google Contacts, just using Settings, Accounts, etc... That worked pretty good as well. I knew there was another option to use a Thunderbird add on, gContactSync, to keep Thunderbird in sync with Google Contacts. After that step I got kind of a mess. Some contacts got duplicated, and some did not seem to sync. That is where I am at now, and don't really have it sorted out yet. It has gotten kind of complicated, and I don't know what is syncing with what. I think I will let the new sleeping dog lie for a while and see if I can figure out what is going on...

Sorry I don't have a perfect solution for you, but if you to have contacts imported from Eudora in Thunderbird it is something you should think about. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

Oh, and to be clear, if you only intend to send email from Thunderbird you do not have to do any of this. Your existing Thunderbird Address Book, can be used to start them. You can also respond to emails that are still in the POP3 account. 

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I've been trying to help a handicapped friend with the migration. The problem starts with a forgotten password.

OK Telus has a procedure for that. Sure they do. I go through the RESET PASSWORD process enter an appropriate password (it gets a check mark) wait for Telus to send the 6-digit code. Enter the code and press SUBMIT.

Up pops a message saying "We're sorry something went wrong. Please try again."

Well I tried 10 times and got the same results. Yes I tried other passwords and yes I got the 6-digit code each time followed by the same message!

A phone number to a human could solve this VERY quickly. But I can only use the useless on-line help. Waiting over an hour for a return call does not work.

Highlighted
Resident

This “migration” is a class one Cluster F..k.

I use the Mail app on my Mac. Thursday 3 Sep, it took me over an hour on telephone with a techie in Asia to get my mail up and running.  In the process, I had to delete my Telus account and reinstall with the Google server. That resulted in the loss of virtually all my email: received, sent and drafts.

Today, 4 Sep, I found that all my Calendar entries of several years have disappeared.

I am tempted to switch to Shaw or Rogers.

Beware!

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

We are in an area that only has Shaw or Telus and they both have crappy customer service.  Telus was supposed to move my mailboxes over a week ago and they have not nor have they had the decency of a follow up call or email.  My wife still has the old email and she won't be switching to fckg Google unless they force her.

Rockstar

@Oldislander  You will be changed to gmail sometime end oct  like it or not.  Thats the email i got telling me my change date. Polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
I already changed, which has created problems that I did not have before. Have you read my original comment? Telus and Google are not compatible and they have not ironed out the problems and their technicians do not appear capable of dealing with it.
Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander I have the gmail (gsuite) working but not to my liking. looking to move on to another email platform lots involved. lost my saved mails. Polecat

Highlighted
Ambassador

I think the message in this is that it is much safer to make the Telus forced conversion to Gmail if you are using an email system that keeps all the email on your hard drive and it is backed up. That is basically the system I had with Thunderbird. The day before the conversion I went into Outlook at let it download my email from Telus as it does each time you open it up, and I thought there would be nothing for Telus to convert over to Gmail (or lose!). Well I had forgotten that when I very infrequently use Telus Webmail and respond to an email using it, the Webmail was saving my response as Sent Mail. My Thunderbird was not set up to download the Sent mail. However, when I went into Gmail for the first time, I was surprised that these quite old Sent Mail emails were there. I was not as ready and protected as I thought I was, but all went well anyway.

The bottom line is that I think one is best to take all the email from Telus by using an email application that saves everything on the local hard drive like Thunderbird BEFORE you let Telus make the Gmail conversion. And as an extra precaution one should back up the local saved email file before they make the conversion. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

Oops, I had a bit of a brain fart there. I have not used Outlook for many years, although I still have my old PST files. I meant to say "The day before the conversion I went into Thunderbird..."

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
I have no idea what Thunderbird or some of the other things that people are talking about....I am not a technician.
Highlighted
Connector

I absolutely agree.  Everything (messages, contacts, etc.) should be backed up before letting Telus or Google touch anything.  That way even if they mess up so much that you lose your messages you have data you can probably work with whether in a new email application or even, if really necessary, in a data file that can be read in a text reader.  

Although, if people have only ever used email inside a browser (like webmail or Gmail) I'm not sure how one would back up the data.  Also, I am totally a Windows person, so I have no idea how to deal with the problem in an Apple environment. 

Highlighted
Connector

@Oldislander  Speaking from a PC and Windows perspective, Thunderbird and Outlook and Windows Mail are applications (called "email clients") that allow you to download email from Telus or Google's servers to your own computer's hard drive to view, read, reply, organize, and store.  You download directly and view in your application rather than viewing through a web browser.  They are called 3rd party apps because they are built and updated by Mozilla and Microsoft, not by Telus or Google.  (Telus and Google are the first parties, you are the second party (I think), Mozilla and Microsoft are the 3rd parties.)

Here is Thunderbird's website, but it does assume you understand how an email client works, as distinct from webmail.  https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Here is a page that is a reasonably general explanation of the difference.  Most of the explanations I found were quite technical.  https://difference.guru/difference-between-an-email-client-and-webmail/  (The video is not great.)

Highlighted
Ambassador

@essjay1 that is good information. I never really thought about those that use a cloud browser based email system only. I suppose some do not even have a PC or Mac, and try to handle everything with a smartphone. I suppose that is possible but I sure could not do it. 

If someone is on a browser cloud based storage email that is compatible with Thunderbird all you have to do is an IMAP installation of Thunderbird and you have both a computer based email system with your own files on your hard drive, as well as a cloud based browser system you can access anywhere. When you install Thunderbird and link it to a browser based cloud email system, the first thing it does is download all your email and save it on your hard drive. After that it mirrors what is changed on either the browser based system (like Gmail) or on Thunderbird. The mirroring is virtually instant. 

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
If I download Outlook, can I transfer my saved Telus mailboxes to it?
Highlighted
Ambassador

Personally, I would stay away from Outlook. Where are you now with your migration? Is all your mail now in Gmail? Or?

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
The migration did not work very well. We are missing our Mailboxes and Telus does not appear to have the ability to help. Hence, my posts here. I am not a big fan of Gmail. I have an account on my laptop and I rarely use it.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Thunderbird has the ability to download mail from the Telus Webmail or from the new Google Mail. But, if you don't know where the mail has gone then there is no starting point. 

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
Everything, I believe, except the Mailboxes with years of saved mail and Drafts, is on Gmail. The Mailboxes and Drafts (Saved Mail) are still on Telus, which I still have on my computer.

Highlighted
Ambassador

When you say you have the mailboxes and drafts (saved mail) is still on Telus and on your computer, what format is the mail in? Is it in Outlook? or what application. The only Telus mail I knew about was WebMail.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  My move to gsuite  took 6 hours  lap desk and ipad. I had to have a tech do it if i tryed it ran me in a constant loop. I knew there was lots of trouble  so printed the important saved emails and also my contacts. My emails in saved folders did not arrive and they can't help me. The contacts did arrive. Not impressed. Polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
It is the Telus mail that we have had for decades...until Telus decided to force all of its customers to switch to Gmail. I receive my new mail in Gmail but all of my Mailboxes and Drafts are still in Telus, which I have kept. I guess that would be "webmail"!