cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet into wifi booster?

Aoimoku88
Just Moved In
I understand that 1 booster has to be plugged into the router directly. That is what I have done.

What I am asking is if I can use an ethernet cable to connect my PS5 to one of my other boosters I have.. or I should just leave it disconnected?

Also.

I have optic tv and internet set up in my house.. should I disable wifi on my router for better wifi booster performance?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can try connecting the PS5 to the other booster to see if it improves connectivity.

If you have any wireless Optik boxes, you will need to keep the Wi-Fi turned on on the router. They don’t work from the boosters.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can try connecting the PS5 to the other booster to see if it improves connectivity.

If you have any wireless Optik boxes, you will need to keep the Wi-Fi turned on on the router. They don’t work from the boosters.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Which wifi do they run off of the 2g or the 5g?

Should I disable one of them? My connection is fast on ps5 wired or not it's just I get drops mid-game so it makes me think theres some congestion

The Boosters use smart switching and run on both 2.4 and 5 ghz. I don't think you can turn it off. The only congestion that could affect you is on your network. You could try creating a guest network to run your PS5 (and a limited number of devices) off of and disabling your main network when you want to game. 

I don't think the ethernet port on the booster is an output. It's only meant to accept a direct connection to your router to improve its signal and speed. You could try, but if the wifi to the booster isn't awesome, you won't be any better off. If you have ethernet from your router to your booster, you could get a small switch and run a cable to your PS5. That's what I did for my home office set up.

oldcollegeguy
Friendly Neighbour

or you can call Telus and ask why they don't Hardwire in all of the boost AP's to ensure that your wifi coverage and performance are optimal? and then ask them to come out fix it. as for loyalty and retention.  they install things this way so that they can roll a truck and have a sales guy (aka "tech") come out and sell you more things. all the ISP is responsible for is giving you a connection to the internet. wifi is a feature of convenience. in other words, it's up to us the end-users to maintain our wifi. I had their wifi solution and I scrapped it all and installed my own.