cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do VPNs work?

Pitchblack
Friendly Neighbour

Just thinking about privacy issues and want to know about having a VPN.  Will it help and does running one slow down my internet speeds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

On a home internet connection with password secured wifi or ethernet, privacy isn't a huge worry. Microsoft and Google will still be mining your data whether you have a VPN or not. If on public wifi somewhere, a VPN is a must.

With VPNs things get murky. Some are decent, some are not, and some you just can't tell. It will really depend on the VPN you choose. Some of the not decent ones store your data.

Will it affect speed? YES. The VPN provider I occasionally use (Nord) has not had a single server yet that can even take advantage of my gigabit connection and my PC connected by ethernet. Speeds vary significantly between servers. I've come across a few that are pretty fast (100-200mbps) but many are much slower in the 30-40mbps range. I have tried a few other VPN providers but none of them had faster offerings so far.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

On a home internet connection with password secured wifi or ethernet, privacy isn't a huge worry. Microsoft and Google will still be mining your data whether you have a VPN or not. If on public wifi somewhere, a VPN is a must.

With VPNs things get murky. Some are decent, some are not, and some you just can't tell. It will really depend on the VPN you choose. Some of the not decent ones store your data.

Will it affect speed? YES. The VPN provider I occasionally use (Nord) has not had a single server yet that can even take advantage of my gigabit connection and my PC connected by ethernet. Speeds vary significantly between servers. I've come across a few that are pretty fast (100-200mbps) but many are much slower in the 30-40mbps range. I have tried a few other VPN providers but none of them had faster offerings so far.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Additional information regarding VPNs can be found in this earlier thread:

Solved: Using a VPN - TELUS Neighbourhood

Just a long time customer hoping to help.