cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAC Compatible with T3200

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour

I've got a setup at home, where I have my Fibre going into a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4s+IN, then split between my UDM and my Telus T3200.  I originally had the Fibre directly to my UDM, but because it only can negotiate at 1Gbps (UDM limitation), I added the Microtik switch in there.  I added by Telus router back in, so I could get my Optik TV Boxes working (at 4k), but currently I have the T3200 connected via ethernet because the DAC I have doesn't seem to work.

I currently have 2 DAC's, one is a ubiquiti compatible one, and the other, I thought was a Cisco one, but neither seem to work on the T3200 side.  Could I just keep using the Ethernet cable? Yea, but I'm OCD and was using the Ethernet port for PoE/mgmt, so would prefer to go back to that if I could.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sharkannon wrote:

Yea, the udm side works fine, the nice thing is, the MikroTik upgrades the connection from 2.5Gbpe to 10Gbps, so that part works.

The MikroTik to the Telus t3200 is the issue 

I only have 1 4k box, and only use it once in a while, but just hoping to get it all working as I want 

You should be able to lock the switch port on the Mikrotik at 1Gbps, as that what the T3200 is looking for... Remember you are mixing SFP+ at 10Gbps on the Mikrotik with SFP at 1Gbps on T3200. That combo will not sync.

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good after noon...

For a little clarification please...

What speed internet do you currently have?

If you have the Telus Gpon connected directly to the Mikrotik switch I presume you have the 2 separate WAN IP addresses issued by Telus correct?

And the Mikrotik is passing the signal through to your UDM? Please confirm that you have a UDM Pro?

As well, please clarify for me if you would be so kind. When you say you could just continue to use the Ethernet cable,

I surmise you have a SFP to RJ45 adapter connected to you Mikrotik ?  And then the RJ45 cable connects to the white WAN port on your T3200? Or, are you connecting the RJ45 Cable into the POE/ETH port 1 on the CRS305?

I have found that the 10Gtek DAC Cables SFP+ Twinax Cable, Passive, Compatible with Ubiquiti, from Amazon seem to work just fine with my system. and at around $10.00 - 15.00 buck not a bad deal...

Thank you, and look forward to continuing the dialog... Cheers

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour

@DrPacman wrote:

Good after noon...

For a little clarification please...

What speed internet do you currently have?

If you have the Telus Gpon connected directly to the Mikrotik switch I presume you have the 2 separate WAN IP addresses issued by Telus correct?

I have 1Gbps up/down, so no real benifit atm of all these upgrades, but I like to play. As for the Mikrotik, I have the GPon plugged in to the Mikrotik switch and have 2 seperate WAN IP's.

And the Mikrotik is passing the signal through to your UDM? Please confirm that you have a UDM Pro?

As well, please clarify for me if you would be so kind. When you say you could just continue to use the Ethernet cable,

I surmise you have a SFP to RJ45 adapter connected to you Mikrotik ?  And then the RJ45 cable connects to the white WAN port on your T3200? Or, are you connecting the RJ45 Cable into the POE/ETH port 1 on the CRS305?

I do have a UDM Pro, yes. I have the Ethernet cable plugged into the RJ45 Eth/PoE port on the Mikrotik switch (the switch is set to SwitchOS, so acting purely as a switch atm) and then into the WAN port on the T3200, yes

I have found that the 10Gtek DAC Cables SFP+ Twinax Cable, Passive, Compatible with Ubiquiti, from Amazon seem to work just fine with my system. and at around $10.00 - 15.00 buck not a bad deal...

Thank you, and look forward to continuing the dialog... Cheers

Those are the DAC's I'm currently using, but for some reason the T3200 doesn't seem to want to connect to the switch using it. I've used the known working cable that I have in the UDM, and it's not working either when plugged into the T3200.

@sharkannon wrote:

Those are the DAC's I'm currently using, but for some reason the T3200 doesn't seem to want to connect to the switch using it. I've used the known working cable that I have in the UDM, and it's not working either when plugged into the T3200.

You may have to force the UDM Pro SFP+ port to sync at 1Gbps within the UDM Pro settings. It may not sync with Autonegotiation turned on... I know I had to force mine on the USG-XG-8...

Cheers

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour
Yea, the udm side works fine, the nice thing is, the MikroTik upgrades the connection from 2.5Gbpe to 10Gbps, so that part works.

The MikroTik to the Telus t3200 is the issue 😞 I only have 1 4k box, and only use it once in a while, but just hoping to get it all working as I want 🙂

@sharkannon wrote:

The MikroTik to the Telus t3200 is the issue 

I only have 1 4k box, and only use it once in a while, but just hoping to get it all working as I want 

You should be able to lock the switch port on the Mikrotik at 1Gbps, as that what the T3200 is looking for... Remember you are mixing SFP+ at 10Gbps on the Mikrotik with SFP at 1Gbps on T3200. That combo will not sync.

Cheers

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour

DUH, I feel like an idiot, that's exactly what it was.  Logged into the MikroTik and force the ports to 1Gbps (left the Ubiquiti at 10).

Everything is working now, the UDM and the T3200 are both connected via DAC's and the fibre is going into the Mikrotik.  I love my little setup 🙂

UDM Pro

USW PoE Pro 24

U6LR

2x UAP AC IW

1x UAP Nano

It's all fun to play with (Yes, this is my home network), thank you very much.

@sharkannon  wrote:

DUH, I feel like an idiot, that's exactly what it was.  Logged into the MikroTik and force the ports to 1Gbps (left the Ubiquiti at 10).

Everything is working now, the UDM and the T3200 are both connected via DAC's and the fibre is going into the Mikrotik.  I love my little setup 

UDM Pro

USW PoE Pro 24

U6LR

2x UAP AC IW

1x UAP Nano

It's all fun to play with (Yes, this is my home network), thank you very much.

That's what this entire forum is all about... Helping out where one can... Glad you got this all working. I have a very similar setup here, just using a Unifi USG-XG-8 frontend as the router. Love the Ubiquiti ecosystem for all this. Now all we need Ubiquiti to do is start supporting 2.5Gbps on all the routing devices and switches natively...

Cheers....

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour

I'm wondering if Telus's T3200 is set to only negotiate with their Gpon.

@sharkannon wrote:

I'm wondering if Telus's T3200 is set to only negotiate with their Gpon.

I like you have my Telus GPon plugged directly into my Ubiqiuti USG-XG-8 Router... I've taken the T3200 right out of the picture as I don't use any of the other Telus services. Separate IPTV and VoIP services that don't rely on Telus...

Now it is interesting that the Telus Gpon is working for you in a Mikrotik CRS305, as Mikrotik themselves say there is a incompatibility issue.

Cheers...

sharkannon
Friendly Neighbour
Yea, I had this setup, but added the MikroTik so I could get the 2.5 -> 10Gbps bridge if I upgrade to the Telus 1.5

Splise
Just Moved In

Hi,

I currently have a Telus GPon, firewall (SFP+), and a T3200 connected to a CRS305-1G-4S+ running SwitchOS, all connected via fibre.  The firewall negotiates at 10G with the Telus GPon and T3200 negotiating at 1G (as one would expect).  How are you forcing 2.5G on the Telus GPon from the CRS305 in SwitchOS?  The only options available to me on the CRS305 are 1M, 100M, and 1G.  There isn't even an option for 2.5G, 5G, or even 10G when configuring the speed manually.  I am running SwitchOS v2.13.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.