cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the T3200M modem

SAP
Friendly Neighbour

Hey guys,

I would like to purchase my own router from TP-Link to be able to configure VLANS. I don’t use Telus Optik TV. 
Can I just unplug the T3200M modem and plug the fiber cable directly into my new router (given that it supports fiber) as well as connect the wired RJ45 cables (those that lead to wired access points throughout my house) into LAN ports of my new router? Will the Internet access work without further settings and adjustments needed, so that I can move on to my VLAN configurations right from there?
Or should I keep T3200M and use it in the bridging mode instead, and connect the new router to it?

Whether using the bridging mode or not, I really would like to be able to reconnect the wired cables to my new router’s ports. From what I see, it should work (those are basically just extension cables), but I could be missing something. 

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you can, but I didn’t realize the T3200M connected directly to fibre, I thought there was an ONT, to convert the optical signal to ethernet.

Worst case, you bridge the T3200M if necessary.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

SAP
Friendly Neighbour
Oh, you must be right. There is a small no-name white box here - which looks like ONT, I guess - from which the cable goes into the T3200M SFP port. Sorry, I am not a big expert in networks, so I missed this part. Anyway, my plan was to unplug this cable which is connected to SFP port of T3200M, and plug it into the SFP port of my new modem - with a hope that this will provide me with internet access without further adjustments.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200 does have a fibre port on it. It's rare to see it used but it is there. If the router you're looking at supports that specific SFP module, then in theory it should work. If you run into technical issues, be aware that Telus will not provide any support if you're using a third party router.

The ONT is a fair sized device and has a bunch of lights on it. The connection from an ONT is ethernet to WAN on the T3200. When fibre is installed, there is also a little white box where a loop of fibre is placed so if the white box you have doesn't have lights on it and is quite small, it's likely just that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

SAP
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you for the reply! It is a small white box without any lights on it, from which quite a thin cable (way thinner than the standard Ethernet cables that I have) goes out and into the SFP port of T3200M.
May I ask how to find out what SFP module the T3200M modem has, to make sure that the same one is supported on the router that I am about to purchase?
Thanks