cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change ip

JujhaarSekhon
Advocate
When I play video games I always get booted off.
How can I change ip
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@JujhaarSekhon

Google and search "what is my IP address". Write the numbers down. Unplug your modem for the night. Go back to Google and search "What is my IP address" - if it's different, it worked. If it's the same, just repeat the process a few times.

Alternatively you can try calling TELUS home services technical support and see if they are able to change it for you.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BrandonT
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@JujhaarSekhon

Google and search "what is my IP address". Write the numbers down. Unplug your modem for the night. Go back to Google and search "What is my IP address" - if it's different, it worked. If it's the same, just repeat the process a few times.

Alternatively you can try calling TELUS home services technical support and see if they are able to change it for you.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

How can I set up a proxy server?

The simple answer is you can't set up a proxy server. The closest option you have is a VPN service like NordVPN or one of the other ones out there. For best performance on games, a direct connection is always best.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The question that should be asked is WHY are you getting booted off? There is usually a reason someone gets kicked or banned from a game server and changing your IP isn't going to solve that. Depending on the game, platform, and how watchful the server admins are, you could run into more problems by changing your IP. Some have explicit rules against users doing that to get around bans.

Tech support typically cannot assign a new IP address to you since it's pretty much an automatic process through DHCP. The one way you could possibly get a new IP address is to leave your modem/router unplugged for 24+ hours depending on how much time is left on the DHCP lease on the gateway. If it's off long enough when and after the time to renew the DHCP (IP) lease arrives, the IP potentially could be re-assigned to another user but there's no guarantee. An alternate option is a VPN.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂