cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot ping my Telus T3200M modem/router from outside.

nya13
Friendly Neighbour

Hello,

I am on Telus PureFiber.  I can't seem to be able to ping he public IP address it is under.  I played around with various settings in the router's admin page with no luck.  There is no third party router connected and I am currently connected wireless to the Telus router.  Lets assume I id a factory reset on the T34200M, which setting(s) would need to be hanged in order for the ping to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

AFAIK, you can’t ping your public IP from inside it.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

nya13
Friendly Neighbour

meh..it works now.  And I'm not even sure what changed.

nya13
Friendly Neighbour

ok, so it looks like I cannot ping my Telus router's public IP address after all.  Weird hat people outside of my Telus router's network can.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

AFAIK, you can’t ping your public IP from inside it.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

nya13
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for confirming.  Don't know the reasoning behind that restriction.  We should be allowed to ping ourselves.  The T3200M must have some serious issues with loopback I guess.  I guess this is the reason why we cannot access our web server by using the public IP address from within our Telus router's network also.  Some DNS tweaks did the trick for now, but what in the world...

That's how IP networking works. It's part of the industry standard protocol and not a restriction imposed by TELUS or the Router manufacturer. 

Have youever tried calling your own phone number? How would that conversation sound?

nya13
Friendly Neighbour

I was able to ping the Shaw public IP address from within...  I was able to access my web server with a domain that is redirecting to the Shaw public IP address from within...

Were you using the IP passthrough feature? If so you are actually using 2 separate public IP addresses. Going out on 1 and coming in on the other. That's not the same thing.

@nya13 wrote:

ok, so it looks like I cannot ping my Telus router's public IP address after all.  Weird hat people outside of my Telus router's network can.

Not weird at all. That's how it's supposed to work. Your router knows the IP address is itself so it never sends the ping.