cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add another router to my Nokia Fiber modem

mg3
Neighbour

Anyone know if I can attach another router to the Data 2 output on my Nokia Fiber modem? I have seen an answer to the extra router question that suggests a Gigabit switch between the ONT and the 2 routers but it would be simpler to use the Data 2 port no? Or is it not active? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need reliable wifi in my garage/studio.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one port is active on the ONT (there is no modem). You would need a switch if you chose to add your own router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one port is active on the ONT (there is no modem). You would need a switch if you chose to add your own router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for that. Curious though. The ONT has 1 fibre input and 4 Data outputs. Does it not act as a Fibre to WAN router?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. It just acts as a device that translate fiber to a single ethernet port for residential installations.

Thank you.

Can you help with how to connect the ethernet cables , the Telus Modem is on the middle floor , the Nokia box is in the basement , i have 6 ethernet cables to connect that are located next to the Nokia box, Can i add a router connected to the nokia in the basement with all not connections , and have the telus modem on the middle floor as the wifi router.

The wifi in the basement is not reliable for a home office. even with a extender

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Move the Telus router to the basement, and add Boost Wi-Fi or an ethernet switch at distant locations. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"