cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5 gig residential internet does not give 2.5 gig on cat 6

atashaikh
Neighbour

I got 2.5 gig fibre for my home and I cannot get 2.5 gig down (or even close) if I use any other port besides the "10 gig" port. 

Tech support are not even sure if the other ports support 2.5 gig. The most I can get from the non-10gig ports is ~1 gig.

Btw I am connecting directly to the modem and not the wifi booster/router.

Any help?

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's the gateway I think you have, I believe there is only one multi-gig port and the rest are gigabit. You'd need a 2.5gbps or faster switch if you want to connect multiple devices over a gigabit. Unfortunately those switches are very pricey.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I have a 2.5gbps switch. It's dumb to put just gigabit ports on the gateway when you're offering a 2.5gbps connection. 

DrPacman
Rockstar

@atashaikh Wrote: I got 2.5 gig fibre for my home and I cannot get 2.5 gig down (or even close) if I use any other port besides the "10 gig" port. 

I can assure you that the 2.5Gbps service does indeed work, and is even over provisioned to provide more that the 2.5Gbps speeds.

Indeed, the Telus Modem/Routers are configured with 4 – 1Gbps ports and 1 – 10Gbps ports. The reasoning is that most people are still utilizing no more that 1Gbps services, and those of us that indeed utilize faster speeds commonly  have specialize hardware that is specifically designed to take advantage of the speed.

Economies of scale play into this as Telus would have to support many different hardware SKU’s if they had to provide multiple hardware devices, as well ease of support for remote techs with fewer combinations of hardware.

Let’s see if we can find some configuration that may work for you.

The first thing that would be helpful is knowing what hardware you are currently utilizing within your network, i.e., which specific switch model, and which specific NIC adapters?

As well the current Telus modem that has been installed would be helpful as well. For example, is it the one that is displayed below?

1b6929_673.png

1Arcadyan  3.jpeg

If so, are you utilizing it as your router/firewall, or has it been placed in bridged mode. If the latter, has it been fully bridged on all ports, or just the 10Gbps port?

Again, lets see if we can get this figured out for you, Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

atashaikh
Neighbour

I connected my pc to the 10G port and now i can see 1.3gbps down and 2.4gbps up. The down is still low - I would expect it to be at least 2.0gbps. Also as the upload speed seems good, it kind of rules out if there is an issue with switch or nic I am using?

NH20A gateway > Cat 6 cable connected on 10G port > TP-link switchTL-SG108-M2 > Intel Intel I225 Chip 2.5gbe nic on pc 

@atashaikh Wrote: I connected my pc to the 10G port and now i can see 1.3gbps down and 2.4gbps up. 

This could indeed be a "Telus Rack" issue. I have seen cases of misconfigured provisioning on the backend when situations like your seem to happen. Mismatched speed variations. 

I would indeed contact someone in the PureFibre team, or tech support to see if there may indeed be some sort of problem.

As well, I have seen cases where after about 24hrs, the initial issues seem to solve themselves, a hint is unplugging your Telus modem and letting it see if there maybe a firmware update ready to be pushed down to your modem that may address some o the problems.

I know my NH20A received a number of firmware updates over a few days when I upgraded my service...

Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.