cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the door to door agents so pushy?

Js-addt
Just Moved In
I had an agent ring our doorbell at around 630pm while I was busy preparing dinner. Took a peek, saw a Telus agent and ignored it. I already have a no solicitation sign on my door. 2hrs later, agent returns and this time my elderly father opened it. The agent was rude as heck and pestered my father with questions, even though my dad said he didn't need any services. Again the agent kept going so I took over and clarified we did not require services and if we did, we could contact Telus. Thought he'd take the clue but nope- he kept going and said I didn't understand him and he would "sleep better at night" if I listened to him. I repeated so many times we didn't need services and asked him to leave. I straight up said "I am asking you to leave my property" at least 10 times but this guy would not stop. Unbelievable! What part of "please leave" do these people not understand? I tried to be as polite as possible, because I get it; they are trying to make a living, but this was ridiculous. Ended up closing the door on him and I could still hear him saying "you don't understand". Unbelievable . Only makes me not use Telus services.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Hi @Hazzard sorry to hear about what happened.  This is quite concerning we don't encourage such practice when it comes to door to door agents. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

xray
Hero

@Js-addt wrote:
Again the agent kept going so I took over and clarified we did not require services and if we did, we could contact Telus. Thought he'd take the clue but nope- he kept going and said I didn't understand him and he would "sleep better at night" if I listened to him. I repeated so many times we didn't need services and asked him to leave. I straight up said "I am asking you to leave my property" at least 10 times but this guy would not stop. 

All of this is unnecessary. Just close the door. If you politely say no thank you, which it sounds like you did, then just close the door. It doesn't matter what the sales agent says, just close the door.

Arguing at your door with a sales agent is like arguing online. You can end it any time you chose.

Alpha
Neighbour

@Js-addt I'm very sorry to hear of your experience. The person at your door was not following the TELUS Values and should be embarrassed by his behavior. We have experienced some door to door people who were claiming to represent TELUS but were actually wearing clothing that had been stolen from a retail store. This was 2-3 years ago in the BC Interior- please stay vigilant, and if a person is claiming they are from TELUS, they will be able to show you identification confirming they are legitimate. 

@Alpha wrote:

... if a person is claiming they are from TELUS, they will be able to show you identification confirming they are legitimate. 

Not being able to show ID is a dead give away but I doubt the general public would be able to tell a fake TELUS ID from a real one.

Hazzard
Just Moved In

I experienced the exact same thing! I had a guy come by on behalf of TELUS months ago trying to sell me a doorbell camera and I refused over and over saying that i'm not interested. The guy refused to leave. I told him "I'd think about it" just so he would leave. Well yesterday a couple of guys show up to my door saying they're here to install the doorbell camera. I told them they're not installing anything and they need to leave right now. The guy started playing a recording of my conversation with the previous salesmen saying I agreed to this when that was never said in the recording. So I was also being recorded without me knowing during the entire pitch. The guy got very aggressive with me saying I shouldn't be wasting the companies time like this. The next time this happens, if they guy doesn't leave when I tell them too I'm immediately calling the police. No more messing around.

This is absolutely despicable behaviour coming from TELUS and very predatory. I have cameras watching the property now in case these guys come back to try something fishy.

Fabylous
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Hi @Hazzard sorry to hear about what happened.  This is quite concerning we don't encourage such practice when it comes to door to door agents.