cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my TELUS account with Family / Spouse

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

Hi everyone, and sorry if this has been asked, I've searched back and forward with no success.

I have a TELUS Smart Home security system. Lots of bells and whistles.

I want to give my wife access to the APP, but the only way I can see how she does that is to use my account and password. Same as my kids.

Lots of features in the APP.

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but I thought this would be a bit more obvious. Especially since I'm an IT tech. Account sharing = bad mojo.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Multiple people can be assigned to an App on their own device, but you have to assign them through the web interface which has only one set of credentials. Both of us can access the system through our phones.

If I recall, you set each of them up with individual access codes to the system, and once done, you can then add their phone via the App to connect. You identify each by email or SMS and have the system send the access code to their device. They can then set up access through the App on their device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you followed my suggestion to create an instance of each family member through the web interface at alarm.com? As I stated before, my spouse has access to the alarm system through her phone and tablet without using my credentials. You could also try setting family access through the alarm.com App instead, if you wish. You will still need to create an instance of each person through the alarm.com website.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is only one account holder. You should be able to set up the app to use all the home security features (lock, unlock, camera view, etc) but the permissions access is limited to the single account holder. You manage these through the alarm.com web interface.

NFtoBC

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

Does that mean, that only one person may use the app? The app requires a logon as far as I know. Or do family members have to use the Panel explicitly?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The app has only one main account holder primary. You can create multiple users names for panel access, but can't have separate users using the app under different email addresses.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@WestCoasterBC ,

I believe the system is identified by the owner’s email address ([email protected]’s alarm system) or system name (NFtoBC’s Home)  but multiple users with different email addresses can be assigned an access code they can use through the App to access the system to the limits assigned by the owner/administrator.

NFtoBC

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the responses.

Sorry for my late reply. Actually had a chance to test.

There is no way, that I can see, from my wife's phone to give her access to the APP. I can log on as me, and that's it. 

I am listed as master on the account. As far as I can see, I would need for my wife to also create a TELUS account and link it to the Smart Home account. Whether thats doable or not, I have no idea. 

The APP is a useful tool. For all members of the family. For many reasons.

Password sharing is frowned upon. At any level. And the fact that I would have to share my own account info (with my wife or kids), to my Security System, is not acceptable.

The App opens, and the only way to proceed is to log on with an account. There is no prompt for PIN numbers or codes, and the permissions in the Users control does not grant 'APP' access. Only to the Panel, and then can be further restricted.

I'm sure if insurance companies found out that security systems shared account information with other users, they would frown upon it as it compromises the security of the system.

If I'm wrong, I will eat crow, no questions. But I cannot see any way to give my wife or family members access to the APP in my home. 

Thoughts?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you followed my suggestion to create an instance of each family member through the web interface at alarm.com? As I stated before, my spouse has access to the alarm system through her phone and tablet without using my credentials. You could also try setting family access through the alarm.com App instead, if you wish. You will still need to create an instance of each person through the alarm.com website.

NFtoBC

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

I will check. But I was forced to migrate my original security logon to use the MyTelus logon. I've never had an Alarm.com app, so I'm not sure. Something else for me to look into.

It's definitely not straight forward, thats for sure. lol..

Charles

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Multiple people can be assigned to an App on their own device, but you have to assign them through the web interface which has only one set of credentials. Both of us can access the system through our phones.

If I recall, you set each of them up with individual access codes to the system, and once done, you can then add their phone via the App to connect. You identify each by email or SMS and have the system send the access code to their device. They can then set up access through the App on their device.

NFtoBC

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

@NFtoBCand @WestCoasterBC well. I've been eating crow now since my last reply. And sadly life happened and I forgot, and have a list of excuses as to why I haven't replied. But at the end of the day, You were absolutely correct. I was blind for looking and to stubborn to know the difference. My apologies.

Thank you. That has worked exactly as needed.

~picks up fork for another helping... 😉