cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Information

Hanson
Just Moved In

I received a phone call from a Telus agent (Probably a contractor) offering me an iPhone 14 on my account at the same price (with phone payments included) as my current account which does not have any phone purchase costs included. As the discussion progressed, this agent advised the only information he had on my Telus account was the phone number. As he dug further into my personal information, alarm bells went off big time when he started asking for previous addresses and for my DL number. Without his information he advised he was not able to offer me the promotion. 

I strongly recommend that Telus should offer information of scams and other potential account security threats on their system when they are aware of it. Currently there is no security or scam advice regarding Telus products and services readily available on the Telus system. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Considering the scams change so frequently and that there is such a large variety of them out there, it's difficult for any company to create a list of specific scams to watch out for. If someone calls you and is offering something, call the company instead. If the person calling you doesn't have your information other than a phone number, assume it's a scam and hang up. 

Telus does offer the following information: (source)

Protecting yourself from phishing phone calls

Similar to phishing emails and texts, fraudsters may also try to collect personal information over the phone, either on a mobile phone or landline.

If you receive an unexpected and suspicious call, take a moment, pause and ask yourself:

• Is the caller asking for personal or sensitive information?

• Is the caller trying to create a sense of urgency and/or pressuring you to take action, suggesting something bad may happen if you do not follow their instructions?

• Does the caller say they are calling from a trusted, reputable company or organization you know would not usually treat their customers like this?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions, the call is likely a phishing or scam attempt.

What to do if you have received a suspected phishing call to your TELUS mobile device or landline:

• Do not reply to the caller; end the call right away. Give yourself a moment to think about whether this seems suspicious in any way.

• If the caller tries to convince you that they are calling from TELUS, report the call to the TELUS Customer Care. Dial  1-866-558-2273 or *611 from a TELUS handset.

• Phishing calls can also be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC), which collects information and criminal intelligence on fraud. Learn more about reporting fraud at the CAFC website or call 1-888-495-8501.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Considering the scams change so frequently and that there is such a large variety of them out there, it's difficult for any company to create a list of specific scams to watch out for. If someone calls you and is offering something, call the company instead. If the person calling you doesn't have your information other than a phone number, assume it's a scam and hang up. 

Telus does offer the following information: (source)

Protecting yourself from phishing phone calls

Similar to phishing emails and texts, fraudsters may also try to collect personal information over the phone, either on a mobile phone or landline.

If you receive an unexpected and suspicious call, take a moment, pause and ask yourself:

• Is the caller asking for personal or sensitive information?

• Is the caller trying to create a sense of urgency and/or pressuring you to take action, suggesting something bad may happen if you do not follow their instructions?

• Does the caller say they are calling from a trusted, reputable company or organization you know would not usually treat their customers like this?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions, the call is likely a phishing or scam attempt.

What to do if you have received a suspected phishing call to your TELUS mobile device or landline:

• Do not reply to the caller; end the call right away. Give yourself a moment to think about whether this seems suspicious in any way.

• If the caller tries to convince you that they are calling from TELUS, report the call to the TELUS Customer Care. Dial  1-866-558-2273 or *611 from a TELUS handset.

• Phishing calls can also be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC), which collects information and criminal intelligence on fraud. Learn more about reporting fraud at the CAFC website or call 1-888-495-8501.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you for the response, but I think it would also be extremely useful for Telus to publicly advise whether or not they use outside agents (Non-Telus employees) to market their plans and products.