cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qolsys IQ Power Barrel Connector Spec

enb54
Coach

Replacing my 2 year old DSC wired system with TELUS Qolsys wireless alarm system, I want to mount my Qolsys remote panels in the same place my DSC panels were removed from but need to splice in a 90 degree barrel connector for the 7 volt DC power. Does anyone know the spec for the barrel connector so I can try to get a pigtailed version from an electronics supplier? I really don't want to cut them off the existing power cables but I will if I have to. Thanks in advance for any help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'll answer this question myself, I ordered from DigiKey 3 each of the Tensility International Corporation "CBL ASSY 1.7MM PLUG-CBL FLAT 6'" and DigiKey part # CP-2198 ND. They're 4mm in diameter with a 1.7mm opening, with barrel approximately 9.3mm long, they appear to be the correct ones to complete my wiring to power the Qolsys panels from my mechanical room and they were $3.99 each...

Barrel Connector.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

breanna34
Just Moved In

When splicing a barrel connector for your Qolsys wireless alarm system, it's essential to get the correct specifications to ensure compatibility and safety. Since you're replacing a DSC wired system, examine the DSC panels or wiring to see if they have any information regarding the voltage and polarity of the power supply. This can serve as a reference point for your Qolsys system. Armed with the correct specifications, visit an electronics supplier or store specializing in connectors and accessories. Provide them with the OD, ID, voltage, and polarity details to find the appropriate barrel connector. 

Thanks for that information, I have measured the O.D. of the Qolsys 90 degree barrel connector and it is 4.02mm, the inside diameter of the connector is harder to measure so will try to experiment a bit. My wall positions for the control panels are about 20 meters away from the mechanical room and the wiring is four conductor JKT (22 gauge) formerly used for DSC control wiring and 2 conductor stranded power wire which appears to be slightly larger than 22 gauge. Anyway, am planning on 3 conductors for each side of the 2 wire power for the Qolsys 9104-840 Remote units which require 7 VDC at about 1 Amp, so hopefully 3 22 gauge conductors will carry that for 20 meters. I'll measure voltages under load and determine what's happening next week, also planning on relocating the TELUS IQ Panel 4 equipment to the 2nd floor of our house as its present mounting location is inconvenient to say the least. As for the power barrel connectors, once the correct size is determined, will be getting pigtailed versions if possible, not really interested in trying to solder and insulate these tiny power connections on the plugs myself. Will post results here as things progress, I really believe that this repair could have been handled without replacing my DSC system, but TELUS bought out the alarm company that originally installed the DSC equipment so my options were limited. Thanks for your suggestions...

I'll answer this question myself, I ordered from DigiKey 3 each of the Tensility International Corporation "CBL ASSY 1.7MM PLUG-CBL FLAT 6'" and DigiKey part # CP-2198 ND. They're 4mm in diameter with a 1.7mm opening, with barrel approximately 9.3mm long, they appear to be the correct ones to complete my wiring to power the Qolsys panels from my mechanical room and they were $3.99 each...

Barrel Connector.jpg

Just adding information, today I verified the wiring back to the old wired distribution panel, discovered the wiring going directly to my new remote panels and tested them to see if battery charging for the new panels was OK, and it was all good, except I only have 2 - 22 gauge wires per negative & positive voltages, the other 2 were going to the old magnetic switch(es). Tomorrow will get some nice wooden backing plates, router out holes to store the wiring, and will mount all the goodies to my front and back door positions...

A final word on this project, I have successfully mounted the remote keypads at my front and back doors using the existing wiring to carry the 7 volt DC power from our basement utility room where the DSC wired control panel/power supply was mounted previously. The outside of the barrel connector (for remote's power) is the negative voltage while the inside pin is positive, check this BEFORE you connect to your remote panel or you'll likely blow out the electronics in the remote panel. Attached is a photo showing our remote mounted at the front door and the IQ Panel 4 is now mounted in an upstairs bedroom location, much more convenient for us...20230924_180714[1].jpg