cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Security - ?cellular backup during power outage?

GoVikings
Just Moved In

Hi, I wonder if during a power outage (no power to my home router, or if the internet service goes down), when the Home Security touchscreen panel switches to power backup, is it connected by cellular backup?  I am on the SmartHome Security - Secure package ($45/month)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lmeinecke
Organizer

If you have the Qolsys IQ Panel (what Telus uses for 99% of their home installations), that system uses cellular as it's primary means of communications.  The internet connection is the backup.  It also uses the internet for software updates and other maintenance functions.

So, if the power goes out, yes, the system will keep running on it's internal battery and it will keep communicating via cellular.  You will get trouble notices that the a/c power is off and that the wifi connection was lost.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MelH
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hey there! It isn't; however you can set up notifications through your SmartHome app or web portal to notify you of power failures in your area. You can find more information about that here: https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/power-outage-notifications 

lmeinecke
Organizer

If you have the Qolsys IQ Panel (what Telus uses for 99% of their home installations), that system uses cellular as it's primary means of communications.  The internet connection is the backup.  It also uses the internet for software updates and other maintenance functions.

So, if the power goes out, yes, the system will keep running on it's internal battery and it will keep communicating via cellular.  You will get trouble notices that the a/c power is off and that the wifi connection was lost.