cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum PVR playbacks with 4K PVR?

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

For some reason, if one TV is playing a recording (non-4K) then I am unable to playback a 4K recording.  I get the following message:

Playback limit has been reached.  Too many TVs in your home are playing recordings or delayed TV.

I can playback a second non-4K recording buy I am unable to playback a 4K recording.  My PVR playback profile says 1SD + 2HD.

Is this normal? 

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually that message appears if too many live streams are in use. How fast is your internet connection?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

I have the PureFibre Gigabit plan. On my phone I measure 364 Mbps download & 249 Mbps upload using the Telus Connect app.

My router is an Actiontec T3200M. There are 4 TVs connected with 3 Arris 5602 boxes and an Arris 5662 PVR box. Two of those boxes are set up for 2160 for the 4K TVs. The other two boxes are set up for 1080p.  When the problem is exhibited only 2 TVs are on.  Both are using Arris 5602 boxes.  The 1st TV is watching an HD recording.  The 2nd TV is unable to watch a 4K recording.

I rebooted the Arris 5602 box that would not let me play the 4k PVR recording. No change. I then went to play this video on the 5662 box which is set for 1080p output. This time the 4K recording played. I immediately went back to the original 5602 box to play the 4K recording. No dice. I was getting the same message as before even though this recording would play on the 1080p box.

I waited until the 1st TV that was watching an HD recording to stop. Once this box stopped watching the HD recording I returned to the 4K box to watch the 4K recording and I was able to watch this recording.

I will try running a few more tests today to see if I can watch multiple recordings at once.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have gigabit, you should have more than 2HD. You may want to contact tech support directly and have them check that your profile is correct. If that's all it is, it should be an easy fix.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

loyalClient
Coach

I had same issue too. You just need to power off your STB for couple of hours, then it will get back to normal. That worked for my STB.

Good luck!

YLWGuy
Friendly Neighbour

I found a way to recreate the issue.  I have a 4K TV#1 that is using a 5602 box.  On TV#1 I start playing an HD recording.  On the 4K TV#2, I start to record a hockey game on the 4K Sportsnet channel 920.  So far, so good.  Now I try to watch the 4K Sportsnet recording on my 4k TV#2 while the hockey game is still being recorded.  This is when I get the message:

Playback limit has been reached.  Too many TVs in your home are playing recordings or delayed TV.

In summary, while TV#1 is playing an HD recording it is not possible to simultaneously record and watch a 4K recording on TV#2.

I know that it is possible to simultaneously record and playback a 4k Sportsnet channel.  I frequently will record a hockey game on Sportsnet 920.  Later I will watch this 4K recording while it is still being recorded.  It appears that the catch is that no one else can watch a second recording while I am watching & recording the 4K channel.