cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change default screen on startup Telus TV-21T

DL12
Organizer

According to support, the Optik TV Home Screen can be disabled at startup. The same instructions don't work for the newer Telus TV-21T box. Any suggestions?

The goal is to just have live TV with no menu be the default start option. Old school, I know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

You cannot disable the home screen - this is the only place to access your resume feed, your favourite channels, the Sports Zone, recent recordings etc. 

If all you want is live TV, a quick workaround is to immediately press and hold the back button (curly arrow) on your remote to hide the home screen when you start up your Optik TV interface - this will hide the home screen, and whatever channel was playing when you turned it on (which will be playing in the background), will be brought to the foreground.

This tip applies for wherever you are in the interface - simply press and hold the back button to return to the playback screen. If you're in a 3rd party app such as Netflix, you'll need to press the Home button first.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

You cannot disable the home screen - this is the only place to access your resume feed, your favourite channels, the Sports Zone, recent recordings etc. 

If all you want is live TV, a quick workaround is to immediately press and hold the back button (curly arrow) on your remote to hide the home screen when you start up your Optik TV interface - this will hide the home screen, and whatever channel was playing when you turned it on (which will be playing in the background), will be brought to the foreground.

This tip applies for wherever you are in the interface - simply press and hold the back button to return to the playback screen. If you're in a 3rd party app such as Netflix, you'll need to press the Home button first.

grimmt1
Organizer

I don't think the original poster meant to disable the Home Screen completely.

Rather we should have the ability to control if the Home Screen is displayed immediately after turning the Optik TV box on, or whether the last TV channel or application selected is displayed. 
We would still be able to get to the Home Screen by clicking the Home button.

Having this flexibility will make it easier for those less technically inclined to adapt quicker (i.e. would work just like a regular TV with cable box).  Some folks can be quite resistant to change and believe me, this can make for a pretty big demographic for Telus. 

MW1
Just Moved In

Having the Home Screen come on is very frustrating. My Mom is 96 and has difficulty with simple technology. We are contemplating returning to shaw.