cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming throttling

kusius
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, why is there such throttling of streaming from my mobile device? I’m on a 5G+ plan (with a 15 Pro Max phone), but I can barely watch Twitch or YouTube at 720p. Speedtest always shows 200+ Mbps and otherwise the internet is really fast, but what is wrong with streaming? I just can’t stream videos in good quality while on the go. What’s the point of all that talk about infrastructure investment, etc., that justifies Canadian phone plan prices being some of the highest in the world, if I can’t stream 1080p videos, let alone 4K? I would understand if throttling occasionally happened in some locations, but it’s everywhere: Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City. What am I paying for? 

31 REPLIES 31

SAME!!! I changed it down to 480 I still get buffers

wArpAtH
Neighbour

Yes, the only workaround for it to work properly is with a VPN.

How do we issue a formal complain about this? I have 280gbs that I can't even use....

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We've flagged this to our team to investigate. You always have the option of reaching out to our Mobility support team as well for investigation and troubleshooting.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

I already went down this router, trust me. First they asked me to restart my network settings, which I did but didn't really help at all. After this, I was told to get a new SIM card, which I also got and it didn't help with anything at all. Third time I called again and I was asked again to reset my network setting and they explained to me that the first person who did it, apparently did it wrong. However, this didn't fixed anything at all.

Like I said, the only work around to fix this is getting a VPN. I have 4 lines with Telus and they are all experiencing the same issue. 

With all due respect, you and I both know that this is a Telus wide issue which means this is a higher up decision made instead of a simple tech support issue, unless Telus decided to grow a heart and make decisions that benefit their clients, this won't get resoved.
Appreciate you taking part of the discussion though, it's not your fault at all, but this is truly a frustrating issue spreading across Canada looks like.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

You always have the option of having this escalated through our Mobility team so they can investigate your connection specifically to see if anything can be found.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Read, before you reply.

I haven’t been through this with tech support.

and, again, if you read the thread, you will notice that this isn’t a single area / device issue, this effects multiple users across different area.

Appreciate your suggestion, this is not the solution.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We did read your posts. As you said, we didn't see you mention speaking with our Tech Support team. This is why it was suggested. Thanks.

No worries, appreciate the input regardless. 
It’s understandable that this just ain’t something can be solved by forum tech support, but still appreciate other techs mentioned about flagging the issue.

if this someone brings up higher end tech lead attention would be great. 
thanks again 

iWillLift
Helpful Neighbour

That is SO SAD and pathetic though... like I have use VPN to use cell data I paid for hahaha
But thank you for letting me know!

I couldn't agree more. Had to shell out $60 for a yearly VPN subscription. Fortunately, using a VPN at all times is a great idea anyways.

I'm still leaving Telus in September though.