cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop using my phone number / SIM for 6 moths?

hmaldonado
Just Moved In

Hello.

I have a pre-paid mobile plan and I will be leave the country for about 6 months. I will not use any data or phone calls with this account, I mean, I will not use my Telus SIM for a while. But, I want to keep my phone number and I want to be able to use the SIM once I return to CAN. What do I need to not loose my phone number

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

polecat
All-Star

@hmaldonado  We are customers only here. There have been people trying to do this never saw a post back about it. Probably lest cost is to keep the account active. Telus will charge something for holding the number for you.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

SIMs will typically expire if not used for 45 days. The only way to keep your number is to keep active service with the phone turned on at least once ever 30-40 days to ensure the SIM doesn't expire. You may want to call Telus to confirm what your options are.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could port your number to a VoIP service, and port it back on your return, or switch to the cheapest plan possible, and renew it every 45 days, as @Nighthawk  suggests. To my knowledge, you don’t have to use the phone, just keep the account active.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"