cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the Network Access Hub do?

migrained
Neighbour

I have a Pure Fibre 1.5G plan. The technician installed a Nokia ONT (G-240-G), the NAH (FXA5000), and the Wifi 6 Hub (Router).

The topology looks like this:

Fibre drop -> Nokia ONT -> NAH -> Router.

My question is, what is the NAH for? 

Is it possible to install the Router directly to the Nokia ONT?

Just to give some context, I have a 2.5Gb capable router with 2.5Gb LAN ports.

I also have a computer with  2.5Gb ethernet port. So, I think I should be able to achieve speeds more than 1Gb

The NAH has only one 10Gb port and, If I am not mistaken, the rest of the LAN ports are 1Gb. Is this correct?

I want to be able to achieve speeds of more than 1Gb by by-passing the NAH and directly connecting the ONT to the router so that it looks like this:

Fiber Drop -> Nokia ONT -> Router

Will this one work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The FXA5000 is the actual router in your current setup. The Telus supplied Wifi 6 device is only a wireless access point and is not a router. It's unusual to see the Nokia ONT in use for connections over 1gbps. The FXA5000 has it's own fibre terminal built in and usually has the fibre directly connected to it for faster connections. In those setups, it's possible to put a 2.5gbps switch on the 10gbps port. The rest of the ports on the FXA5000 are gigabit only.

The Nokia ONT itself only has gigabit ethernet ports on it according to the device spec sheet. While the GPON / fibre port is capable at receiving a theoretical max of 2.488gbps but the LAN ports are still limited to gigabit each. Only the first ethernet port is ever activated on the ONT.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The FXA5000 is the actual router in your current setup. The Telus supplied Wifi 6 device is only a wireless access point and is not a router. It's unusual to see the Nokia ONT in use for connections over 1gbps. The FXA5000 has it's own fibre terminal built in and usually has the fibre directly connected to it for faster connections. In those setups, it's possible to put a 2.5gbps switch on the 10gbps port. The rest of the ports on the FXA5000 are gigabit only.

The Nokia ONT itself only has gigabit ethernet ports on it according to the device spec sheet. While the GPON / fibre port is capable at receiving a theoretical max of 2.488gbps but the LAN ports are still limited to gigabit each. Only the first ethernet port is ever activated on the ONT.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks!!! The tech provided a Nokia ONT to me, I didnt realize that its ports are only Gigabit. Would it be possible to request an upgrade to have an ONT with 2.5G ports? If yes, would you know what ONT model they provision so that I can indicate it when I call tech? Thanks again!!!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only stand alone ONT is the Nokia one. The FXA5000 has a built-in ONT and a 10gbps LAN port on it. All that needs to be done is to have the SFP/fibre moved from the Nokia to the FXA5000, if the ONT is close by. It may be worth a chat with tech support to see if they can get a tech out to do that and retrieve the ONT at the same time. You could mention that you are unable to get full speeds for the plan. Only way to really test is to run speedtests on two or more hardwired devices simultaneously and add the speeds together to see what they total.

Hi Nighthawk, is it possible to plug from the FXA5000, into a 2.5gb switch, then into a TP Link Deco mesh system?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

As I mentioned earlier in this discussion, the FXA5000 does have a single 10gbps ethernet port on it, so yes it should be possible to connect a 2.5gbps switch.

I'm so glad I found this post, thanks for the info. Just realized the Telus tech who upgraded my account to 1.5g internet wired it incorrectly. He installed the NAH FXA5000 (replacing my T3200M) to my wall beside my cable drop and left it running to the white Nokia ONT, then that is going ethernet to my NAH... meaning I'm capped at 1g! I opened up the cover of the NAH and yep, only the power cord going to it- ethernet from my ONT to the 10g port and coax hooked up to the NAH so it provides my Optik tv.

Calling them tomorrow and getting a tech out so my account can actually get the speed I pay for. I'm planning to buy a 2.5g pciexpress card for my main computer and a new Asus router that will have a 2.5g input

Hi. How do I open the cover of the FXA5000. Do they have any manual for this? Perhaps a video showing how to remove the cover? I've read that the admin password is written inside. 

Opening the cover of the FXA5000 can be a bit tricky, but here's a general guide on how to do it. Please note that the exact steps might vary slightly depending on the specific model and manufacturer instructions:

• Power Off and Unplug: Ensure the device is powered off and unplugged from any power source to avoid any electrical hazards.
  • Locate Screws: Check for any screws on the back or bottom of the device. These screws usually hold the cover in place.
  • Remove Screws: Use a suitable screwdriver to remove the screws. Keep them in a safe place as you will need them to reassemble the device.
  • Pry Open the Cover: Gently pry open the cover using a plastic opening tool or a similar non-metallic tool. Start from one corner and slowly work your way around the edges. Be careful not to damage any internal components.
  • Lift the Cover: Once the cover is loose, carefully lift it off. You should now have access to the internal components, including the location where the admin password might be written.

For a more specific guide, including any available manuals or videos, I recommend checking the manufacturer's website or support page for the FXA5000. Sometimes, users upload helpful videos on platforms like YouTube showing the disassembly process. You can search for terms like "FXA5000 cover removal" or "FXA5000 disassembly" to find visual guides.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.