cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are considered acceptable average speeds for a 1 gig plan?

Bouncycow
Organizer

Hi all...

I'm in North Vancouver and have recently upgraded to the 1gig plan, and was wondering what would be considered acceptable speeds?

The service itself seems stable, but the speeds as measured on the speedtest page of the modem itself (using the Telus Vancouver test site) average out at around 385Mbps down, 255Mbps up, which is a little lower than I would expect.

It's not a problem at the moment as we're a small household and generally don't have any speed issues, but that may change. Can I ask what kind of average speeds do other users on the 1Gig plan get?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Bouncycow Wrote: Can I ask what kind of average speeds do other users on the 1Gig plan get?

On my 1Gbps wired connection I average no slower than 925Mbps both up and down. That average has been maintained over the course of better than 3 years.

now wireless connections will vary greatly depending what connects have been established... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Speet Test Jan 07, 2023 - 19.41.jpg

I just increased from the 1Gbps plan to the 1.5Gbps plan in the last couple of days. and this is now my results with the same hardware install... Cheers....

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 122314.jpg

Kent2
Coach

I live in Burnaby and just signed up for gigabit (as of Friday). My speeds are very close to what you are seeing both up and down. I will check with TELUS early next week as the results seem low.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try testing from a hardwired device. I have gigabit and average 940mbps up and down on a wired connection. Wireless is slower depending on the device and type of wifi used (ie 802.11n, 802.11ac, 802.11ax). On my phone I see around 450-500mbps. Laptop is a bit below 400mbps but it doesn't have Wifi6.

WirediPhone on wifiLaptop
14177312973iphone.png14177339496

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Kent2
Coach

Tested from the speed test on the TM3200 modem. Got 368 down, 263 up.

Bouncycow
Organizer

Thanks all, that's very helpful. @DrPacman seems to get pretty much perfect speeds 🙂 
@Nighthawk  - apologies, I should have been clearer: the speeds I mentioned were from the speedtest page on the T3200 modem itself, same as @Kent2. Looks like I get about the same speeds :

2023-01-08 12_58_53-Advanced Setup - Modem Utilities - Speed Test.png

I'll talk to Telus... what's the best way to contact Support? Is the live chat system any use, or is it better to call (and presumably sit on hold for hours?) 🙂

Just_LH
Ambassador

Maybe they should rename it UP TO 1GB  plan.  🙂