cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wake on Lan Question

bskitmor
Organizer

I have managed to get my desktop computer to power up from a Magic packet sent from an Android cell phone in my home wifi space -- seems unlikely that I will be able to do this over the Internet using the Actiontec T3200M router? Maybe DD-WRT firmware is required on a 2nd sub-router

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well, it is Wake on LAN, not Wake on WAN!  Would the use of a Dynamic DNS host address the things you want to do?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Some folks out there claim to have WOL working over a Net connection -- must admit so far I can't see how.  Most of what I want to do (continual running some Powershell scripts using the Win 10 Task Scheduler) is not drop dead important. Was mostly concerned about a post power outage situation but not prepared to invest a ton of time and money!

rc
Rockstar

Thanks -- tried that one, I set up the router firewall to forward the Wake over Lan UDP net packet through to my desktop but no response.  Maybe Telus blocks unknown UDP requests -- or there is some other configuration trick(s).   

Now I am really baffled -- tried various port checking tools and it seems that traffic to all ports on my home network is blocked.  Obviously this is not the case.  Even if I lower the security level on the T3200M router no ports show as open when checked.  I must be missing something really basic!

TELUS blocks some ports, at the network level. There are a number of posts on this forum that identify which ones.

The other ports are are blocked by the modem firewall.

port scanning tools are actually reporting no response to network requests, which could happen for a number of reasons.

It would be nice to know exactly what the state of play is for Telus Fiber residential services when it comes to port blocking and other advanced config actions.  The T3200m gives the impression that by changing the firewall security level all kinds of freedom becomes available when it comes to port management -- but don't believe this action does anything (have not tried rebooting the router after making a firewall change): at least following testing after trying to make a change.

Ran NMAP to get a view of what gets through the Actiontec router -- only ports 80 and 443 are reported as open: the rest are either blocked or filtered.  No point in fiddling with the Actiontec configuration -- apparently has no effect. Giving up fussing about ports -- maybe this is all explained somewhere in the Pure Fiber fine print...