cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Smart hub General Inquiry?!

k2spirit839
Coach

Would anyone happen to know what Smart hubs are compatible and work with Telus?? Also what external antennas are compatible with the Huewei b612s-51d Smart hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sadly there’s no BYOD with the hubs. Maybe when they first came out but now they lock the hub’s IMEI to your residence. But you can buy a used Telus one from someone, I sold my ZTE before I got my Huawei.

I did try an ASUS 4G/router I imported and put a new SIM card in it at a store and it worked but not at my house since I failed to realize it had a different LTE modem in it (wrong bands). Tech support told me 50/50 if it would work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

k2spirit839
Coach

Or would any LTE Broadband Modem/(Wireless)Router work with Telus LTE mobile network for Fixed Wireless Internet(Rural Internet)??

Sadly there’s no BYOD with the hubs. Maybe when they first came out but now they lock the hub’s IMEI to your residence. But you can buy a used Telus one from someone, I sold my ZTE before I got my Huawei.

I did try an ASUS 4G/router I imported and put a new SIM card in it at a store and it worked but not at my house since I failed to realize it had a different LTE modem in it (wrong bands). Tech support told me 50/50 if it would work.

jtg575
Friendly Neighbour

It's strange that the tech told you the BYO Asus router might work. I just tried to set up a Netgear LAX-20 4g router on my rural Smart Hub plan and was told by tech support that no BYODs are allowed at all. The Netgear should work (proper LTE bands), and in fact I managed to access a "device not compatible" Telus web page, which suggests that it does connect. But the phone rep said they could not activate/permit the device at all. 

But that's the thing with Telus support: ask 5 guys, get 5 answers, and always with the impression that they're just reading scripts without really knowing anything. 

Anyone had luck activating a BYOD router on the rural Smart Hub network?

Greetings

as with all telus equipment which is hackable and non-upgradeable and firmware updates are barely to non-existant person mist turn most end user routers into plain old gateways.

what has to be done and it is do-able is mimic what is sent..

imei.and MAC adresss... the web has places for this...

Adam Badzioch

jtg575
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the interesting reply, Adam. Can you just clarify: are you suggesting changing the IMEI and MAC address of my new after-market router to match those of the old Telus-supplied router?

Greetings

take the answer for you deem is necessary to get a satisfactory result.

With RoBelUs equipment like all other electronic equipment, ALL real techs the world over, say it is a must to at least upgrade firmware to prevent fails and hacks plus keeps equipment running smoothly.
RoBelUs does this maybe at the mid point but rare...very rare at the end point. From my experience with the equipment supplied it is junk before it is even put to the consumer

And equipment is upgraded only when customers complain. Profits are used mostly for sharebholders wallets ...not meager end user equipment

Search and research...and ask the equipment user you purchased from for a path to your quest.

Adam Badzioch

adamthebad
Advisor
Nighthawk MR1100