cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus/Koodo and potential data breach

Ter
Just Moved In

Hi everyone,

I got call yesterday from a phone number that appeared as Telus and the caller said as a Home service Telus customer I could move my mobile line to Koodo and get more value in terms of data to use on my phone.

It sounded like a good offer but he requested a piece of government identity. I provided my drivers license number and date of birth as well as home address. I got worried when he asked for my SIN and also for some debit card information so I hung up.

First, I'd like to know if this was a scam call and if the information i gave out already could lead to some damage to me in terms of identity theft or some effect on my credit etc.

Or is this information normally required for such a service.

I anticipate your feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Likely a scam call Telus. If it was Telus they already know your home address and everything about you. Call display spoofing is easy to do this day an age. You can always call Telus or Koodo and speak to a representative about any REAL offers.

Likely you're safe but don't give out any more info. If a scammer they will likely call back pretending to be someone else and try and fish for more information.

Never give out your SIN or any banking/debit information over the phone it's an instant red flag.

You can visit this link for more information if you wish to report it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Likely a scam call Telus. If it was Telus they already know your home address and everything about you. Call display spoofing is easy to do this day an age. You can always call Telus or Koodo and speak to a representative about any REAL offers.

Likely you're safe but don't give out any more info. If a scammer they will likely call back pretending to be someone else and try and fish for more information.

Never give out your SIN or any banking/debit information over the phone it's an instant red flag.

You can visit this link for more information if you wish to report it.