Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Fibre + network switch

CaptFirePanda
Neighbour

Hi all,

I am wondering about a couple of things:

1) If I want to use a network switch (unmanaged), do I place it after the router (and not between the ONT and router)? I'm assuming this is the case, but would like to confirm.

2) If I do place the switch after the router, is it of any use to run one ethernet cable to the switch and connect multiple devices to it while running other cables directly from the router to other devices?

For example, our ONT and router are in the basement. I have one computer hard-wired to the router in the basement and another hard-wired on the main floor. Could I put a switch between the router and the upstairs computer so that I could connect other devices on the main floor to the switch?

The reason I'm thinking of this kind of set up is that I'm hoping to avoid running more cable than I already have. Our home is older but the basement and main floor are finished & do not have the skills/time to run the cable through the walls.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have ONT > Router > 3 separate gigabit switches in different rooms. All works fine.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks!

Out of curiousity, how many devices do you have attached to each of the 3 switches?

I have two 8 port switches and a 5 port switch. So 7+7+4 = 18 devices max. I think I have one or two ports free on one of the 8 port switches still. That doesn't include the wifi only devices. I have one more switch new in box that I haven't installed yet either. I prefer to hardwire as many of the things as I can. More reliable.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Definitely more reliable. Now that my wife & I are working from home and our sons are sometimes home and gaming or virtual schooling, hardwiring is almost a necessity. Just working out the kinks and trying to figure out how to get everything hooked up without drilling a zillion holes 😉

Thanks for your help!