cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Boost Network Connection Dropping on iPhone XR and MacBook Pro

ArneSalvesen
Just Moved In

Apologies if this is dealt with elsewhere, but my issue is a bit specific as outlined in the subject.

My setup:

T3200M Modem with a WCB3000 Extender connected via coax.  The WCB3000 is used to get the signal to my Optik Box

2.4G Wifi disabled on both T3200M and WCB3000.

5G Wifi active on on both T3200M and WCB3000.  Same SSID on both.  Use this network for my tenants downstairs.

Added Boost earlier this summer.  First booster is connected to T3200M, second is in the living room.  Great signal.  Great speeds.

Recently however, my iPhone XR and my MacBook Pro keep dropping off the Boost network,  I try to reconnect but am told the password is wrong (iPhone) or it just won't connect (MacBook).  She can share the PW with me from her phone, and then I can connect. My wife's iPhone 6 has no issues (nor her Windows based PC). 

If I reset the Boost station in the living room I can connect again for a short time, but then the problem re-appears.

I've tried switching the boosters with no affect.  

I am at the end of my technical knowledge.  Any ideas?

64 REPLIES 64

This is interesting. My Telus wifi was excellent until I bundled everything & I got Optilk TV. Since then for some strange reason, only with my sons & mi=y iPhone do we have trouble with Wifi. Often/all the time I have to either turn the wifi off/on or change the network to get it to connect. Then it works foe=r awhile. N=But then same old, same old No problems with the TV's, laptops anything. Just with the iphones and ipad to a degree. So I went ahead & got the boosters which I hooked yup but then unhooked cause I didn't want to have to sign into 15 or so devices (btw, do I have to connect to the booster on all my devices or can I keep some/any/all connect to the 5f=g, or 2.4 network even while the booster is hooked in & powered up?).

So I think it must be something quirky about Apple products & the Optk TV modem. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you can leave whichever devices you wish on the T3200M router.

You could also add the other devices to the mesh network over time; just choose an easy to enter password to make it easier.

I recommend hardwiring as many devices as possible, as it builds a more reliable network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I kept my T3200 under a separate SSID and turned off 5 Ghz. The reason I did that was to connect older 2.4 only devices eg old Nest Cam, Wemo, etc devices to the T3200 to make sure they don't run into any conflicts with the Boosters which run both bands. Since I've done that, none of my smart devices have dropped off.

I'll add my name to the chorus here - over 30 devices in the home, all phones and laptops are Apple. See the same issue staying connected to a 5Ghz network.

Same as @Jammer005, I've turned off 5Ghz on the modem and left on the 2.4 for older smart devices that operate on 2.4Ghz (the boost 2.4Ghz network doesn't work with those devices). It looked like it was working for a few days, then saw the problem again.

I contacted Telus a few times, and one of the agents actually helpfully gave me the IP address to futz around with the Boost network settings (similar to model settings). The modem URL is 192.168.1.254 and the boost URL is 192.168.1.68. The admin password is on the boost itself (note there are two passwords there). I was initially very excited about this, but realized later that it's NOT POSSIBLE to turn off 2.4Ghz networks on the Boosts! I couldn't believe it...

Starting to think this is an Apple issue rather than a Telus problem. At the very least the issue seems to be restricted to macOS and iOS.

Anyway, long story short: a tech came today couldn't solve the problem, called his supervisor and he said there's a known issue with Apple products and the Boosts. They're waiting for an update for the boost.

Interim solution/workaround is to provide me with a wireless extender until the issue is resolved.

thought it might help ...

Update FYI: there was a firmware update for the Boost devices (v1.32.28) on Nov. 13.

This update was released BEFORE the technician arrived but hey it might take time for this info to trickle through the chain.

The agent claimed that it should update by itself upon a restart (blinking purple light) but that didn't work for me. Calling in right now to get them to do it, hopefully this helps you all solve this.

I have a good feeling about this...

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 5.06.41 PM.png

How do you find out what firmware the Boosts are running?

App>Network>Select Booster>Details>Firmware

OR

Desktop>Login Network with IP>System>Information

Great thanks. They are running 1.32.27 build 12. I rebooted them and still the same.

I’m not sure how to update.

Did this get resolved with the firmware? How did you get the new firmware?

I haven't been able to my Boosters to upgrade to the new firmware. Perhaps I will have to call Telus and see if they have a way to push the new firmware to my Boosters.

My boosters have this update and its all still no good. I get asked to enter my wifi password on Macbook Pro and iPhone XR every day. Telus has no answers for me. Time to switch providers?

Same issue - Apple devices 'forget' the password on Boosts... Interestingly, not all at once. You can move to another corner of the house (where another Boost is working) and connect fine.

So the workaround I have right now:

• T3200M is on a daily reboot schedule - I needed this before the Boosts came into the picture anyway, as the wifi sometimes gets flaky midway through the day. This is still true.
  • T3200M SSIDs are both (2.4, 5) hidden, and Smart Steering is off. Need this for older IoT devices, and for a backup when the main (Boost) wifi fails.  It's often better, but as I said, can be flaky too.
  • 2 of my 4 Boosts (I blame the ductwork in the house for the dead zones) are now on daily reboots (cheap mechanical timers).  We'll see if the others eventually need them too.

It's far from perfect, and numerous tech visits didn't help - they seem really resistant to replacing the T3200M. Each time they come by, they reset it, and "prove" to me that its behaving fine. Whatevs.

So my problem is solved... finally had the T3200M replaced with the Arcadyan, which meshes with the boosts.  (Actually replaced it because could not get it to go over 350Mb when I was on 750.)  Have not had the dropping issues since. Also seems to better handle the IoT devices that can't jump frequencies.

Anyway - not sure if we confirmed this, but are all of you on T3200s?

Yes, I'm using the T3200M as well. most of my devices are connected to it instead of the Boost as there seemed to be too many problems staying connected. I was thinking of changing routers as well.

I was thinking of going to this one, https://www.staples.ca/products/317890-en-asus-rt-ac68u-dual-band-ac1900-wi-fi-gigabit-router as I've got one at work and it just flat out works.

But if you are using wireless Optik TV you still need to keep the T3200 radio active. I think that's part of the problem.

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

I'm glad I saw this thread - I 'upgraded' to a boost wifi network to try to get better coverage across my property....typically I've always had a good connection in my house; however low connection quality in my garage.  Now with he boosts the signal strength is good, but I've been having the same issues as you guys.... signal drops and it won't accept my password.   It was bad enough that I couldn't use many of my older smart wifi-based products anymore...now this connection issue is making me rip my hair out...  

We have Optic TV, so I'm guessing we can't change our router?

I'm assuming you have the T3200... Which is what I had. We also have Optik TV, with two wired set top boxes (over Moca)  and one wireless. It all still works flawlessly with the new Arcadyn (sp?) Modem.

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

I think I'll try that! Any chance you could share the model # of the Arcadyan Router that you picked up?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Arcadyan router is Telus supplied. Given the issues you are having, you could ask for a tech visit (to your driveway) and an exchange of routers.

The Boost devices connect to the Arcadyan router using it as the first connection point in your mesh.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

adrockwe
Helpful Neighbour

Got the Arcadyan router today and thus far my wifi connection seems to be better (fingers crossed).... one thing I'm not sure about was connection to my smart devices.... on my last router I had to have a 2.4Ghz network set up for some of my older wifi devices to connect to.  The technician told me he didn't think I'd have to change anything as he said the Arcadyan router would broadcast both 5G and 2.4G, but I seem to be having problems getting those devices to connect now.  

Logging into the router as an admin it *seems* as if there is a 2.4 GHz signal up and running (there is a page that says WLAN 2.4Ghz Radio Enabled)...... anyone have any idea what I need to do?  There is a Page that says "Smart Device Network" - SSID Enable? (Disabled at present)... could this have something to do with it?